New to water softeners, can anyone tell me about this unit? Aquatec? (pics)

Users who are viewing this thread

Pchanizzle

Reaction score
I just bought a house, and it was a foreclosure/flip so I have no contact with the previous owner. We have well water and city sewer. There is a water softener in the basement, but I know nothing about it. Can somebody give me a crash course and tell me what I need to do?

Here's the whole system. Aquatec is apparently out of business, because their website ( www.aquatecsolutions.com ) domain is for sale.

VbW9PyGl.jpg

This is inside the big black canister. I need to (clean this out and ) put salt or something in here, right? How much?

AY89ZFJl.jpg

This is the timer unit (I think). The low battery light is on, I can take care of that, but then what?

42EkWBdl.jpg

Thanks for indulging my ignorance in advance!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The valve that they used is a Fleck 6700 older style or first gen digital control.
I would put the link for the control but fleck has removed the old and replaced it with the new one so drop a pm and I can send the
manual for your 6700 ,
Next, get a water test for the hardness, Iron and ph.
The size of the media tank looks to be a 10x47 but use a tape, across and floor to top of media tank or base of the 6700.

Members of the forum are here to help.

Pchanizzle

Reaction score
PM sent. Thanks a million!

Also, you mentioned measuring the tank, I did some research on what to do with this thing, but I didn't read anything about measuring the tank - do I need to measure the tank for a specific purpose? How do I know what amount of salt to add? I'm going to vacuum it out with my shop vac and wipe it all out and get some salt. Is there a favorite brand? I notice it's all roughly the same price.

I'm also going to get a water test.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Measuring the tank will give an amount most likely in the tank so a capacity of the resin can be figured.
If the tank is a 10x47 then most likely it has 1 cubic foot of resin.
With 1 cubic foot the max capacity would be 32,000 grains at 15lbs of salt.
Each has a fav, mine is the extra course salt, easy to break if it bridges and has many of different benefits for around the house use, and then there is weight for my van and goes under rear wheels easy if I need traction on winter ice.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agree on the extra course solar salt. Salt will vary by region, so if your local extra coarse salt is really dirty, you may want to use the pellets.

That is an old 6700, a really neat looking electronic 5600. It is a fairly good system.

Clean your brine tank please. :) little water and bleach will do just fine.

Pchanizzle

Reaction score
Agree on the extra course solar salt. Salt will vary by region, so if your local extra coarse salt is really dirty, you may want to use the pellets.

That is an old 6700, a really neat looking electronic 5600. It is a fairly good system.

Clean your brine tank please. :) little water and bleach will do just fine.

Excellent, thanks! I will be cleaning the tank tomorrow evening ( we have possession of the house, but don't move in until July 27).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks