New softener, water level very high after regen

Users who are viewing this thread

HuffAZ

Reaction score
Just finished installing new softener. Ran it thru its first regen. Everything seemed to work as expected except for the brine fill. It filled the tank 2/3 full. About 3" below the overflow line. This is a brand new Pentair 14x14 brine tank. It is my understanding it should fill 6-12" deep or so. There is no grate. Odd for a brand new tank. How do I check the safety valve/float etc?

Reach4

Reaction score
Oh, its a softener. I see. Do you know more about this softener? BLFC? BF setting? Water hardness?

HuffAZ

Reaction score
I'm new to softeners but learning. Why would any of the settings effect the brine tank level? It should be controlled by the shut off valve in the tank I thought. I have a 5800sxt. 1.5cf resin, Hardness is 20, BF is set to 22 (Do not know BLFC).

Reach4

Reaction score
The number of gallons of water for brine fill would be the BF setting times the BLFC. The BLFC (brine line flow control) is likely 0.125 or 0.25 gpm.

Did a local person set this up for you? If this was shipped to you, were there setup instructions? If you think this was shipped to you with settings already set, you are probably mistaken.

You should learn to see what the current settings are. Do you have the service manual?

HuffAZ

Reaction score
I'll contact the vendor Monday to go over proper settings. After reading a bit I assume the float valve is only there as a safety and the actual fill amount is based on time and BLFC of the valve. Didn't know that! I'll have to find out from my vendor what BLFC is used.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If they tell you it is a 0.125 BLFC, I would check. You can look at the numbers molded into the button, or you could see how many seconds it takes to fill a 1 gallon container after disconnecting from the brine tank during BF.

First thing would be to look for a label under the outer cover. See what it says. Not that a label can't mis-match reality , but if it says 0.25 gpm, I would tend to believe it. Your BF number is appropriate for a 0.125 BLFC.