New softener makes every day a bad hair day

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Anne, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Anne

Anne New Member

We recently installed a Kinetico water softener. Now when I wash my hair, it lies heavy and flat on my head. I have to shower at the gym for my hair to look decent. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Can anyone suggest a fix?
  2. Cookie

Cookie .

You might have to change shampoos if you are using one with a moisturer or conditioner in it.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hair

Not sure about your hair problem, but I would never recommend a Kinetico water softener, but only because of it being well overpriced and overhyped.
  4. got_nailed

got_nailed DIY Senior Member

I always had problems with the feel of my skin and the feel of my hair when I was at my grand mothers because of her water softener. You need to try a few different shampoos and soaps.

I don’t see many water softeners where I’m at and don’t know much about them. But could the settings be off on the unit?
  5. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

You may be using too much shampoo, and you should not need conditioner. You may have to find a new shampoo that is more agreeable or tolerant of soft water. Your hair is cleaner now when washed in softened water than it is when washed in hard water. It is a rare thing for someone to mention a hair problem after installing a softener but... your hair should have less 'body' to it when it is cleaner because of having no hard water caused shampoo residue on it. That may be the "flat" part and usually your hair will be less likely to stay in place because it is 'wispier' and will blow around easier than when washed in hard water.
  6. good answer.....

Gary....do you think that she will believe your answer??

do you get a lot of complaints like that?
  7. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

It has been many years since I've heard anything about bad hair when a softener has been installed. So all I can do is say what I think may be the cause.