new shower head, no hot water

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Artemis, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Artemis

Artemis New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I installed a new shower head. The actual installation was no problem. But then when I went to have my shower this morning, all I got was freezing cold water, no hot.

Aside from not knowing how to fix this, I can't even figure out how it's possible! This is a standard bathtub shower, where you set the temperature & flow using the faucet taps, then flick the switch to send the water to the shower head. The water is going into shower head is from a single nozzle with the hot & cold water already mixed. So how can this be happening?

Oh, and I took the new shower head off and put the old one back on, and the hot water returned. So the problem is definitely with the new shower head.

It's a Delta shower head, massage variety (I don't know the model). It does have a valve for regulating flow, but not temperature. And fiddling with the valve doesn't affect the temperature at all.

Any suggestions? TIA
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    Tankless water heater?
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Artemis

Artemis New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I'm in a condo (highrise) with central hot water.

But like I say, the water temperature is fine at the taps and when I put the old shower head back on ... so the problem has to be with the new shower head.
  5. AlwaysInHotWater

AlwaysInHotWater New Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Sounds like it's the shower head, but it can't be. A shower head simply allows water to pass through and doesn't regulate hot or cold. Although there are some that have an anti-scald feature, these simply shut the flow off when too hot. The idea of the tankless water heater makes sense because they quite often require a minimum flow in order to turn on. My bet is that it is the new shower head being too restricted.