New Shower Fixture Created Noisy Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

eagle670

Reaction score
I installed a new shower fixture and now we are experiencing alot of banging in the pipes. I have eliminated all the air in the lines, but we are getting water hammer something fierce. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When does it occur? What valve did you install? Water hammer is the result of water turning on and off quickly. Since the water isn't compressible, when you have it moving, it has inertia (just like your car), and it doesn't like to stop (or go) quickly). Some valves say to include a water hammer arrester in the pipes when you install it. Many designs don't need one. If the pipes were not properly supported during the install, the whole valve with the attached pipes may be banging around. If your water pressure is excessive (anything 80psi or above is required to be reduced to a max of 80psi) that an make the problem worse.

You may need to open the wall up (hopefully, from behind so it's usually easier than dealing with tile) and install a pair of hammer arresters (not an air chamber - an engineered hammer arrester) and/or anchor the pipes and valve properly. If your water pressure is quite high, it may soften or go away if you install a pressure reduction valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks