New shower drain into existing laundry drain?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jsr, Jul 26, 2007.

1. jsr

jsr New Member

I'm planning to install a new standup shower stall on the same first floor as an existing nearby laundry room. So could I conveniently drain the shower into the 2" laundry drain line in the basement that pass right by the location of the new shower stall? I'd plan on installing a 2" drain pipe and trap from the shower unit and Y into the existing 2" laundry line.
    Thanks,
    John
  2. BAPlumber

BAPlumber Plumber

if you can fit a 2" p-trap and still get 1/4" per ft. of fall, and vent it, it should be okay. the only other issue is if other fixtures tie into that 2" line.

If there was a tub or shower there before, there should be a vent already and you could tie into it.
  3. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Where are you located? Florida code, which is loosely based on the international code prohibits venting a bathroom fixture with a non-bathroom fixture (2004 FPC 909.1). If you could get a vent in to service the bathroom you'd be good to go.
  4. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

I would check to see if you can tie into the drain - if your tie in is closer than 8' you might be out of luck (sudsing fixture)...
    As well, you would have to vent the shower on it's own (use a combo on the drain line with a san-tee above it then vent out the top and swing the trap arm to the shower drain.)
  5. jsr

jsr New Member

I'm in Connecticut. Thanks for your replies. Guess I'll rely on local authorities on the definitive word.
    John