New resin for model 60

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by ChuckB, Aug 22, 2009.

1. ChuckB

ChuckB New Member

What is the best way to measure the .7 CF of resin needed in each tank?
    I know I can weigh it, divide by 10 and then multiply by 7, but is there an easier way? Thanks

Chuck
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I would save time and a step by weighing the 1 cuft and multiplying that by .7.

The only lubricant required on most o-rings used on control valves etc. today is water.
  3. TedL

TedL New Member

It would be 21 quarts or 5.25 gallons.
  4. ChuckB

ChuckB New Member

worked out pretty good.. I cut the bottom off a clean, one gallon oil container that had a big neck and used a scoop. Cleaned the tanks as recommended by Andy also. Thanks for the replies. Chuck
  5. Gary Slusser

Anyone buys resin from me I include a proper new funnel.
  6. Gary Slusser

Silicone o-rings only need water as a lubricant.
  7. Gary Slusser

8. ChuckB

ChuckB New Member

Gary, Mute or Moot point. My Kinetico O-Rings are not silicone. They are Styrene-Butadiene Rubber (SBR) O-Rings and I have always used silicone grease with no problems. Thanks.

Chuck
  9. Gary Slusser

The only lubricant required on most o-rings used on control valves etc. today is water.
  10. Gary Slusser

If you want to tell people with silicone o-rings to lube them, and to use silicone to do it, go for it. It is not necessary, water works very well.
  11. Bob999

Bob999 In the Trades

Andy and Gary: I want to see if I understand the issue about lubricating o rings on softeners.

Gary said silicone lubricant isn't required with a silicone o ring. Andy said it is ok to use silicone lubricant on o rings. I don't see a direct conflict between those statements--rather a different emphasis.

I know that Gary is a proponent of Clack valves so I looked at the documentation for Clack WS=1 valves to see what is said about o ring lubricants. I found the following statement in more than one place: "Do not use Vaseline, oils, or other unacceptable lubricants on o-rings. A silicone lubricant may be used on black o-rings." I found no reference to using water as a lubricant in the Clack manuals I reviewed.

So my take is that it is ok to use silicone lubricant but sometimes it may not be required. I guess the practical question that remains for me is how do I know if the o ring is a silicone o ring that doesn't require silicone lub?
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  12. ChuckB

ChuckB New Member

Gary, a more approprate statement from you would have been something like:

"Some people use silicone on their orings, which is fine, but I have always used water and it works for me."

and again my o-rings aren't made of silicone!

Until they rewrite my Kinetico manual I will continue to use silicone as it recommends. It makes assembly much easier. Thanks Chuck
  13. TedL

TedL New Member

Tip: For those of you wishing to use silicone lube/sealer for any purpose, Lowes sells a reasonably sized, reasonably priced ($4+/-) container. Say, for the o-rings on a kitchen faucet spout.
  14. Gary Slusser

Silicone o-rings do not need lubrication but if you want to lubricate, water works very well.

Clack also says to not lubricate the seals. They are silicone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  15. Bob999

Bob999 In the Trades

Andy, The link you provide is to a document prepared by the online seller of softeners--It is not, as best I can tell, a Clack document.

The quote I provided in my post above was taken from a document on the Clack website--specifically this document at page 35:

http://www.clackcorp.com/valve/Manuals/V3115-99_WS1_1.25_Drawings_and_Service_Manual.pdf
  16. Gary Slusser

I read every word in that competitor's installation guide that Andy posted.

There are many errors and omissions in it. Some errors are really bad!

I could copy/paste them but since they are a competitor, I won't. I'll just feel bad for their Clack WS-1 customers.

They have revised a guide used for Fleck to fit the Clack WS-1. The fit isn't very good.

I don't know fer sure but, IIRC, silicone and sch 80 pvc may not mix well, yet they are telling their customer to use silicone with sch 80 PVC. I do know there is no need for lubricant on the o-rings on the plumbing connectors.

Anyway, silicone o-rings do not need any lubricant but water works very well.
  17. ChuckB

ChuckB New Member

Kinetico does not use silicone o-rings.

You are the one to bring up silicone o-rings in this post..

Re read everything again..
  18. Gary Slusser

I didn't say they did.

What's with the attitude?

Have you noticed that your other thread about Kinetico has been deleted? I suggest you lose the attitude or this one will probably be deleted too.
  19. Kinnectico is junk

Just ran into a customer that paid 2000 for the Kinnectco
    unit, I not say a word... I know that some day he will regret it.

the only reasons he went with
    that unit over the 999 clack was that it did not use electricity...

the rest was all smoke and mirrors...

I am sorry for being so insensitive,
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  20. ChuckB

ChuckB New Member

Your posts were also deleted. You should also lose your attitude.

All I was doing was defending your misinformation. This forum should used to help others, not to sell your products.