New laundry drain

Users who are viewing this thread

RJL

Reaction score
Hi ,
I purchased an older home that had washer drain tied into the sink and Id like to drain this into the sink drain instead
I bought a kit in home depot and set up the water lines, and also the pvc 2" pipes to come out of the box, and down about 15 inches and then into a 90 degree elbow and continue to run the 2 inch pipe about 4 feet and then out with another 90, then reduce the 2" to 1.5" and tie into a "t" for the slop sink drain.. AM I going to have an issue with this setup running the 2" into a 1.5" drain setup or am i better off keeping it draining directly into the slop sink?

thanks in advance.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is definitely wrong to reduce the pipe size downstream of a fixture.
A photo or drawing of what you have would be helpful if you are looking for suggestions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the newer washing machines pump water VERY fast, and may have trouble with a 1.5" drain line. There's a reason why the US specifies a 2" drain line for a washing machine. Then, it does not appear that you have made provisions for a vent.

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with your setup, not unsafe in any way.

You'll also notice that the sink can really fill up during the spin cycle of your washer, this is when the pump is discharging into the sink.

The sink fills up quicker than it can drain, and that's a clear indicator that you should leave things the way they are.

RJL

Reaction score
what if i wanted to tap into a 2" pipe coming from the bathroom above it?
so i would forego the slop sink drain and drain it direclty into this other 2" pipe ?

Attachments

• IMG_20160124_150416492.jpg
    IMG_20160124_150416492.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 81

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Doing that would require that you provide an "approved" vent for the washer's drain. Any time you reduce the size of the pipe in the direction of flow, unless you use an eccentric reducer, and use it properly assumng you can find one, you create "dam" in the pipe.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
what if i wanted to tap into a 2" pipe coming from the bathroom above it?
so i would forego the slop sink drain and drain it direclty into this other 2" pipe ?

You could do that, but you will still need a vent. If your sink drain is properly vented, it should be feasible to combine the vents.

laundry-tray-moen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks