New House, Shared Well, Iron and H2S

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
You are using book knowledge and attempting to apply it to real world situations without real world experience.

At one time Bob I sold solution feeders and serviced many that other dealers sold. You have one and love it, good for you. I refuse to sell them to my DIY customers because of all my experience with them and people telling me of their problems with one over the 13 yrs I've been been on the internet and in emails.

You are making incorrect assumptions Bob. I don't know what you are oxidizing and/or disinfecting with only 4 ppm of chlorine but you need a least that much or more for each ppm of iron, plus a variable amount for bacteria and then so much for H2S etc..

How are you controlling the solution pump, a flow switch or the well pump pressure switch? And you think that 10 gals will last all but 5 months for a family of 5, go try that with a customer and see how it goes with ever decreasing solution strength. Good luck with that.

I hope that people reading this don't take your figures to heart.

Gary--the 4ppm was an example. Changing the treatment rate within a fairly wide range will not change the conclusion because the treament rate is adjusted by varing the dilution of the chlorine injected in the example i posted. (I.E. so long as the injection pump is a 5 gallon per day pump and the well pump is producing 22 gallons per minute and the daily use is 400 gallons the required injection amount will be slightly less than 9 ounces per day.)

In the example I stated that the chlorine feed was before the pressure tank. As you probably know when the feed is done that way the injection pump is typically controlled with the well pump pressure switch.

I am using verifiable data and well explained calculations to raise questions about the assertions you have made.

I suggest you post your specific assumptions that support the statement you made: "a larger than 15 gallon solution tank unless the person is going to refill it every few days or weekly" so that we can deal with facts in this discussion.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Gary--the 4ppm was an example. Changing the treatment rate within a fairly wide range will not change the conclusion because the treament rate is adjusted by varing the dilution of the chlorine injected in the example i posted. (I.E. so long as the injection pump is a 5 gallon per day pump and the well pump is producing 22 gallons per minute and the daily use is 400 gallons the required injection amount will be slightly less than 9 ounces per day.)

In the example I stated that the chlorine feed was before the pressure tank. As you probably know when the feed is done that way the injection pump is typically controlled with the well pump pressure switch.

I am using verifiable data and well explained calculations to raise questions about the assertions you have made.

I suggest you post your specific assumptions that support the statement you made: "a larger than 15 gallon solution tank unless the person is going to refill it every few days or weekly" so that we can deal with facts in this discussion.
Your whole post was an example based on the 'book' not real world application Bob but no, I didn't see you mention injecting before the well pressure tank. Had I, I would have cautioned you about not doing that. It's a bad idea.

Anyway, changing the "treatment rate" the way you describe it means the customer has to fool around with the solution strength in the solution tank. That adds more volume than your 10 gals Bob.

That's the most common problem and PIA with a solution feeder. And in many cases it's nowhere as simple as adding more bleach or more water.

Once you change the solution strength, you have to retest and possibly adjust either up or down some more but....

You can only test after running enough water to get a current dose (treatment rate) strength, which can be 50-80% of the volume of your retention tank.

And depending on what and how much of it you are using the chlorine for, like iron and manganese with some H2S and/or reducing types of bacteria, you may have to drain all the retention and start over with new solution.

And then still adjust the strength or, the rate of feed but I guess your solution pump may not allow that because it may not have a rate of feed adjustment, I don't know, I just know it is the cheapest pump you could find.

I have been there and done all that Bob and I have helped many people with solution feeders do it, it is why most people that have fooled with one for some time never want another one.

That is why I use my pellet chlorinator instead of a solution feeder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks