New grey c looked Fernco coupler

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmusgrove

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Went to the supply store to get a new 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 Fernco coupling. My old one is made of a thick heavy black material like a stiff rubber. The new ones are made out of a thinner more flexible grey material. It feels as if would tear very easily. These are Fernco branded items.

Any idea on why the change? The only reason I am replacing the 23 year old one is I had to pull it to raise the height f type tub drain when I replaced the tub. The old oneseems to be in good condition, but as long as it was accessible....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They have always made couplings out of that material. They are usually sold in hardware and big box stores. Your old one was the kind sold to professionals.

Bmusgrove

Reaction score
First I apologize for not proofreading the title. Very bad grammr. The local wholesale plumbing supply said the grey is all he can get in that size. I did manage to find the older black coupling in the correct size but the 1 1/4 end is actually larger than the new grey one and my old black one. The the great and old pone fit snug and the new one is real sloppy. You can see daylight all the way around the pipe. Wonder if thats because ut us thin wall PVC? It being used on a slip joint PVC bathtub drain kit. By slip going I am talking abut the same type of adjustable joints you see on your sink drains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks