New Bathroom Faucet Water Connections

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Ecooper77, May 29, 2013.

1. Ecooper77

Ecooper77 New Member

Hi guys! So, over the weekend I went in to relace my bathroom faucet. I got all the old stuff out then went to Lowe's to get the water supply lines (that I'd naively assumed would come with the new faucet). I get home and the new supply lines don't fit the old (1955) copper water valve connections. Is there some sort of connector that will hook the new, braided water lines to the old copper connector heads? I've attached some images for clarity. Your help is much appreciated!

old and new faucets.jpg existing connection.jpg
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

I would replace the valves. The one's you have are for a flair connection.
    John
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Anytime you're refreshing the valve, it's a good idea to replace the shutoff valves as well. Those look like they are soldered on, but there appears to be enough length to just cut them off and use a compression valve (depends on the brand but most require about 1", plus some extra if you add new eschutions). You will need to polish off all of the paint or whatever is there down to bright copper to get a compression valve to seal properly. Or, once you've got it cleaned up, you could solder on new ones. While you have things apart, you can get new eschutions to slide over the pipe stub for a couple of bucks more.
  4. Ecooper77

Ecooper77 New Member

thanks for your help guys!