New Bath - copper supply stub covers, HQ valves?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by ss3964spd, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ss3964spd

ss3964spd New Member

Hi all,

Getting ever closer to finishing up my new 3/4 basement bath. A couple of questions.

I plan on using a pedestal sink of some sort - thus a good deal of the plumbing will be exposed. Supply nipples are 1/2" copper (capped at this time) and drain is PVC. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) Need to "dress" the copper supplies. Is there such a thing as a chromed sleeve to cover the copper?

2) I abhor cheap stuff. Depot and Lowes carry cut off valves that - with their plastic stems, should be banned from the market. Do I need to find a real plumbing supply house that sells quality cut off's?

Many thanks,

Dan
  2. finnegan

finnegan New Member

My HD carries shut off valves that use ball valves. They seem to be a marked improvement over the ones with plastic stems.
  3. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Dan, some plumbers do use a chrome sleeve for the exposed copper.

Why don't you get 1/2" copper pipe escutcheons and use 1/2" compression stops?
  4. ss3964spd

ss3964spd New Member

Plumber,

Mostly because I don't know any better. ;)

In thinking about how best to "finish" the copper I thought a chrome sleeve, with an escutcheon, followed by a chrome stop valve with a compression fitting would do the trick, without having to open the wall to cut off the stubs and sweat in some threaded female 90's.

If I'm reading correctly, you are suggesting cutting the stubs close to the finished wall, adding the escutcheons, and finishing with the compression stops - keeping them real close to the escutcheons. Correct?

Wasn't sure if I needed to leave a certain length of the stub for any particular reason. Also, since I'm your ypical DIY'er, I don't recall seeing chrome sleeves at the usual big box stores.

I do know that the BBS's don't have quality stops - least not that I've ever seen. Finnegan suggests his HD has ball valve stops but I've yet to see one at my outlets. Any idea if quality stops exist that are also somewhat decorative?

Thanks much,

Dan
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Take a look at www.brasscraft.com there are other good manufacturers, but that will give you an idea of at least some of what is available. I've seen Brascraft stuff at my local HD, but not all of the varieties thatthey make. If you see something you like, you should be able to get it at a good plumbing store, though.
  6. finnegan

finnegan New Member

I recall seeing some nicer looking, and I am sure more expensive, valves from Kohler. My ball valves were brasscraft (HD in NJ). In fact, I think all fixture shut off valves I have ever seen have been brasscraft.