Need to redo or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hornnumb2

Reaction score
My dad had a hole in his galv. water line yesterday, I replaced a 2 foot section with cpvc but on one end of the fix I used a copper / cpvc female adapter. Do I need to worry about remove that piece of copper from the line, the rest is still 1/2 in galv. Thanks Michael

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tell him it's time to plan to repipe the house. That patch will be fine if the repipe happens within the next few years. Galvanized pipes are a disaster waiting to happen. They will fail, it is only a matter of time. Once it starts, other places are close to follow. Unless you have aggressive water, copper can last generations. Plastic might, but it's too early to tell. Overall flow and volume will likely improve once the repipe is done with resulting lower pressure drops during use.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pipe replacement is in dad's future. There are three choices of material. Copper is, in my opinion, best. However, depending on accessibility problems, copper may be impractical for a repipe job. My second choice is PEX. Much easier to get through walls, but does require special tools and techniques to install. Last on my list is CPVC. About the same problems with accessibility as copper, but it's just cut and glue. Requires frequent support to keep from sagging. Unfortunately, houses are not built with the idea that new plumbing will someday be necessary, so often some walls have to be opened. Both PEX and CPVC need to be one size larger than the galvanized because the internal diameter of each of these is smaller. You can replace 1/2" galvanized with 1/2" copper, but PEX and CPVC would need 3/4", and 3/4" galvanized would require 1".

Hornnumb2

Reaction score
I have replaced most of the galvanized lines in my house except one bath and the kitchen sink with copper. I could see where I could snake some pex through the walls to get to the sinks. Is there any problem mixing the two and what kinda of mounting brackets are used under sinks? Thanks Michael

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks