Need some professional opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

HandyDad

Reaction score
My house has a slab foundation. I am in process of redesigning my kitchen and want to move the kitchen sink from an interior wall to an exterior wall. In total the drain line would have to move 10 feet. Theoretically I "could" run it through the wall, going around the kitchen until it get's to the new location which would be about 22 feet in run (there is plenty of fall). What I am wondering about is the effort to move the drain in the slab. I know I will have to cut/break the slab to move it, and I know that putting it on an exterior wall would mean chipping the inside edge of the foundation perimeter to get it into the wall. Who thinks I would be better off hiring someone to do it rather than doing it myself? Does anyone have an idea of the ballpark cost of hiring someone to do it in the Southern California area? Anyone think going around in the wall is a good idea? Tips?

Thanks in advance!

-HandyDad

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
(raising my hand) I would get a reliable company that will back the work they do. If you do something wrong what you would have spent $$$ wize will look pretty cheap compaired to the problem you will have on your hands. Many companys will let you do the cement work and digging which will save you $$$. You also don't have to go to the edge of the slab. You can 90 up away from the edge and use a AAV (air admitance valve)for your vent.

Last edited:

HandyDad

Reaction score
Yeah, that is probably what I am going to do

Thanks for the reply. Those are pretty much my thoughts about it. I don't understand how I won't have to chip out the edge of the foundation. Do you have a diagram you can post a URL to?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Most cabinets have space underneith (ie the bottom shelf doesn't sit on the floor). You can run the pipe up a few inches from the wall and be underneith the cabinet. Then you can turn off with an elbow into the wall and another elbow and go up. You're essentially bypassing the corner where you'd chip out the foundation. Actually, better yet plan it so you can use a couple 45's (less likely to clog).

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks