Need major help with Delta 3 way diverter and 3 way cartridge

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Spunger1, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Spunger1

Spunger1 New Member

Hey guys,

I have a Delta 3 way shower diverter and the cartridge that goes with it. I just ran into a HUGE problem and it's not funny!!!

Our bathroom is almost done from a remodel, so I went ahead and figured I'd install the cartridges. While I think the hot/cold are plumed right (I have no way of knowing at this point, a contractor did all the work) I figured I could do the diverter as that seemed easier. While reading the instructions to it over and over it said that the right port had to be blocked out and capped on the 3 way diverter. Problem arises. The contractor plugged the LEFT side instead. So I'm sitting thinking I'll have a shower, but no pressure will split between the handheld and the shower OR just the hand held. That was our whole point of going with 2 shower heads. To have one or the other on or both at the same time.

Is there an easy solution to basically turn the valve 180 degrees so I don't have to rip open the back side drywall and remove the cap from the left side and move it to the right along with re-piping whatever shower head is on the right to left?

I am so mad at this point I am not sure what to do. I tried taking apart the valve but it doesn't look like it's something I'm able to do as far as rotating the insides 180 degrees for it to function properly. I am just lost with this, this is the remodel from hell with all the problems.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Normally, it would not make any difference whether the left or right port was capped, although most manufacturers do not recommend capping any of them but rather piping an "unused" port to connect with one of the other ones. It is a functional thing so you cannot select the capped port to shut off the shower's flow without turning the main valve off, thus creating a cross connection. I have not used that diverter so I am not sure how the cartridge works.
  3. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

4. Spunger1

Spunger1 New Member

This is the valve that is used

http://www.deltafaucet.com/customer...mDetailArea=bath&documentIndex=0#flashWrapper

I am using it with this cartridge

http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details/t11853.html

In both sets of instructions it states plugging or capping the RIGHT side for using it in a 3 way diverter. Unfortunately my contractor like said plugged the LEFT side. I was trying to figure a way to reverse the valve or change it but it doesn't look like it.

Am I screwed or might it work the way it is?
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

As a last resort, just use the 6-function cartridge. All that should happen is that some positions will not have a function.
  6. smoken

smoken New Member

Hi hj, I am in process on doing what you recommended in this thread. But, HOW DO YOU PULL THE OLD 3-function cartridge out of the valve body?