need help identifying a tool

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by r_2016, Apr 29, 2008.

1. r_2016

r_2016 New Member

Hi, I work in the electrical field with indicator panels that use series of light bulbs to make numbers, kind of what you might see at a baseball game. A coworker of mine has a tool that he uses to remove light bulbs where the globe has broken out and there is just the base in the socket. The tool looks like a pair of pliers but when you squeeze the handle the tip spreads apart instead of clamping. Does onyone know what this tool is?
  2. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

It's a Broken Light Bulb Removal tool.

http://www.drillout.com/easeout/

Never seen one of those, but there are a number of hand tools designed that way -- circlip spreader tool comes to mind:

circlip tool.gif

While rummaging around the Web, I found a number of people recommending a potato as a fine broken light bulb removal tool. Just push the (raw) potato into the remains of the bulb base and twist.

Removing the bulb is made easier if, in the first place, you squirt a lubricant on the bulb base before screwing it in. I use a spray designed for lubricating aluminum, but WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil work pretty well.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008