Need help designing water treatment system

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry in MN

Reaction score
I have a new well and house that I need to set up with a water treatment system. I had the water tested by a local pool company and by the county when the well was drilled. The results are below, I only listed the ones that were not zero or undetected.

I have 3 bathrooms used by 4 people. Well driller said well pump will provide 14 gpm, I am planning on a design max of 10 gpm. Main water manifold in the house is 1" copper feeding 1/2" and 3/4" pex to fixtures.

Pool Company results
TDS 200 ppm
pH <6.6
Tot. Alkalinity 98 ppm
Tot. Hardness 145 ppm
Iron 10 ppm

County results
Chloride 1.9 mg/L
Flouride <0.2 mg/L
Nitrate 0.5 mg/L
Sulfate 20.4 mg/L

I am installing this myself, probably purchase the system online through qualitywaterforless.com unless there are better options. From my reading, I need to adjust the pH before treating the iron. Then a softener for the hardness. Finally an undersink reverse osmosis system for the kitchen sink drinking faucet and the refrigerator ice maker.

Any suggestions will be helpful!

Thanks,
Larry

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Units are important. 145 grains of hardness is a lot different than 145 mg/l or ppm (factor is 17.1)
pH <6.6 indicates the water was more acidic than the test measured.

You want a lab test.

I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ for good economical results. Because they mail you a kit and you mail it back, figure about 2 weeks from ordering the kit to results.

Larry in MN

Reaction score
Units are important. 145 grains of hardness is a lot different than 145 mg/l or ppm (factor is 17.1)
pH <6.6 indicates the water was more acidic than the test measured.

You want a lab test.

I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ for good economical results. Because they mail you a kit and you mail it back, figure about 2 weeks from ordering the kit to results.

Thanks for the link! I called the company and the units are all ppm.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Correct. The TDS of 200 PPM would negate the possibility of your hardness exceeding 11 GPG anyways.

I am a big fan of copper plumbing but in your application the low tds, low pH may cause some problems with erosion over time of the copper piping. LSI may be difficult to adjust do a calcite or calcite/corosex blend might be a better alternative.

The iron level is quite high and will likely benefit from an injected oxidant and contact tank. Softening on the post would be a good idea as well.

RO under the sink, just stay away from the $99 made in China units, we have seen way to many catastrophic failures over the past ten years due to garbage units. We have also found many of the Chinese manufacturers using very poor quality carbon which has been testing positive for arsenic and many other impurities. Just because they claim NSF does not mean it is safe. Companies from China will make any claim they want knowing that prosecution is nearly impossible.

Hope this helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks