Need Advice: Slow draining sink with no vent.

Users who are viewing this thread

MJM_Landscape

Reaction score
I have a slop sink in my basement that has always drained slowly. Until recently I could never see what is in the picture (under the steps in a sealed crawl space). I cannot figure out how this drain is vented. The main stack that vents the bathroom (sink and tub) in the basement is a good 30' away. And there is no plumbing on this side of the house on the first or second floors. I assume it is just not vented.

My question is can I put T and install the AAV where the red dot is? Or can I install a T and put it where the blue dot is? I have already checked my local plumbing codes and they do permit AAV's.

Thanks,
Matt

Pipe.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ideally you would have a through the roof vent.

The lack of vent is not why its draining slow though.... You have a clog!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your problem may not be the lack of vent, but rather a fairly long horizonatal arm with little to no slope

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

IF your problem is caused by the lack of a vent, which may not be true, then an AAV will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to cure it. The AAV will prevent siphoning AFTER the sink drains but cannot cure an airbound slow draining system.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
mjm,
I would:
A. treat that drain with a non-caustic, enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare to help clean out any organic clogging. You run warm water down the drain, pour in the DrainCare, let it eat overnight, and then flush it down with hot water. I start the flushing with a kettle of boiling water. That should help clear most clogs.
B. Install an AAV under the sink as high as possible.
C. Cut that drain at the blue dot, snake the line as far as I could, and then lower the angle of that triple 90 to give it plenty of slope to help drainage. You might want to install a clean-out in lieu of the last 90.
I'm not a pro plumber, just an old DIYer, but I solved a simliar problem by installing an AAV once.
www.studor.net
Good luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks