Need advice on removing old closet flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by beetz12, Apr 3, 2010.

1. beetz12

beetz12 New Member

I recently decided to replace my main toilet with a TOTO drake, and after removing the old toilet, this is what I saw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is there a chance I can remove it by myself (if so, what's the best way), or should I call a professional? The material seems to be lead.

Thanks much!
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It is lead alright and it appears to be in bad shape at least from what I can determine by the photograph. If the was in good condition it could be reused, but it seems to be torn. Since it goes into cast iron, and that makes replacement a bit of challenger for a DIY. It would be my advise to have a plumber replace the lead with a new flange with a stainless steel ring.
  3. beetz12

beetz12 New Member

Thanks for your reply Gary. The plumbers yesterday also recommended hiring professionals for the work. They quoted $250-$350 to replace the lead closet flange. Does that seem like a fair price?

What would be my biggest challenge if I want to remove the flange myself? I was thinking of prying and cutting out the pipe with a thin blade, but it may not work since lead is so soft. What's your opinion?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You have to work at the point where the lead goes into the cast iron, not at the floor where you can see the lead. We do not know which of two scenarios you will find, and each has a different solution.