Need a reliable three hole kitchen faucet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by E. Williams, Apr 29, 2013.

1. E. Williams

E. Williams New Member

I am replacing a Koehler Forte which is leaking for the third time. I just had a plumber here who wanted to charge $450 for a Moen that was listed on their site for $142. I want a dependable polished nickel three hole with side sprayer. Any suggestions?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Polished nickel finishes will cost more than the more typical chrome. Most any brand will make a single-handle faucet - it will either come with or have an optional plate to cover the existing holes. Finding one with two valves and the spout for a 3-hole sink requires knowing the spacing of the holes. Personally, I prefer a single handle to get the desired volume and temp. This type of replacement normally isn't a huge effort, and many DIY'ers are capable of doing it themselves. It can be a pain if the nuts (assuming the existing valves have nuts on the bottom) are rusted, but some single handle ones unscrew from the top, then slide out from the bottom. A basin wrench doesn't cost much, should you need one, but sometimes, you have to cut the foolish things off, and that can be awkward. This type of wrench has a long shaft to reach up behind the sink to loosen (or tighten) the nuts, should the valve have them (some use a clamp and a screw). You should also replace the shutoffs at the wall if they are old; preferably with 1/4-turn ball valves. That price would seem to equate to about a 2-2.5hours of labor with the faucet and incidentals. It might take you that long, but most pros would be done quicker. My mother had a similar faucet that was replaced with a tall, single handle pullout spout. To fill the side sprayer hole, we bought a soap dispenser that matched. It came with the plate to cover the other holes. This was a Delta, but Moen is good, too. I have a Grohe in my home that's been working fine for about 10-years now.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ALL kitchen sinks have the same 8" c/c dimension so your only task is to find a faucet you like. Delta and Pfister both make "two handle" faucets which are reliable and easily serviced with readily available parts.