Need a ball valve recommendation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by techinstructor, Dec 16, 2013.

  1. techinstructor

    techinstructor New Member

    North Carolina
    Can anyone recommend a brass ball valve that will last? We replaced on that we had used for about 1 1/2 years with the same brand. The second one has only been installed for about 3 months and it is already leaking (just a drip) from the top of the valve.

    I've been buying them at Lowes, American Valve brand.

    These are not cheap but I'd be willing to pay more for one that will last at least a few years. Any suggestions?

  2. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Cave Creek, Arizona
    They are not really designed to be a valve that is continually turned on and off. Doing that WILL wear the stem packing seal, which is what is happening to your valves. There is a packing nut under the handle which might be able to be tightened to stop the drip, but it will eventually come back. You need a "faucet" designed for constant usage.
Similar Threads: Need ball
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice need help finding a selenoid actuated ball valve to control "circulation line on HWH Mar 29, 2011
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Is a thimball needed for a dryer vent May 12, 2007
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice HELP! I’ve Fallen, and I can’t.....OK not really....., but I do need help! Dec 11, 2014
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Water hammer issue, really need high level professional helps Dec 9, 2014
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Veteran's Home Needs Major Assistance Nov 21, 2014

Share This Page