Need a ball valve recommendation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by techinstructor, Dec 16, 2013.

1. techinstructor

techinstructor New Member

Can anyone recommend a brass ball valve that will last? We replaced on that we had used for about 1 1/2 years with the same brand. The second one has only been installed for about 3 months and it is already leaking (just a drip) from the top of the valve.

I've been buying them at Lowes, American Valve brand.
    sink_valve.jpg

These are not cheap but I'd be willing to pay more for one that will last at least a few years. Any suggestions?

Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They are not really designed to be a valve that is continually turned on and off. Doing that WILL wear the stem packing seal, which is what is happening to your valves. There is a packing nut under the handle which might be able to be tightened to stop the drip, but it will eventually come back. You need a "faucet" designed for constant usage.