Navien NCB-240E: does the 3-way valve take the place of a check valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tripp Knightly

Reaction score
I have an NCB-240E combi whose domestic hot is flaky (at best now, cold showers abound). Heating seems ok. I’ve seen on other Navien units that intermittent domestic hot could be fixed easily / cheaply with a replacement check valve. Am I right that on this unit it’s instead of the check valve the servo-actuated 3-way valve? Price isn’t terrible but sheesh looks like a pain to swap.

I also understand it could instead just be the flow sensor. I’m not sure if there’s a tell-tale way to know which?

Finally I understand that, regardless of which it is presently, that 3-way fails too often so it’s in my future.

EDIT/UPDATE: I replaced the flow sensor and the problem seems fixed for now. Still want to know how you know which part is the problem.

Last edited:

Tripp Knightly

Reaction score
Not mine. No yearly maintenance. Maybe 7 years old. When I did the work yesterday I cleaned the debris trap (some silt!), air intake (nearly fine), water intake screen (nearly fine).

I’m going to de-scale once I get some confirmation on the max HP transfer / utility pump I can use (have a 1/3hp, that might be too much) as well as whether regular 5% household vinegar needs dilution.

Last edited:

Tripp Knightly

Reaction score
Navien told me: 5% household vinegar ok, pump should be very low power, can be 1/4 to 1/8hp. I had heard / read 1/6. Mine is 1/3 but I think I can make it weaker with a rheostat / speed control you’d hook up to a power tool.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks