Natural gas feed

Users who are viewing this thread

redoo2000

Reaction score
I live on long Island and have National grid gas

I just converted to natural gas and installed a Burnham Alpine 150 Boiler.
I plan on installing a pool in the future so i asked my plumber what size pipe should i run for a pool heater.
The pool heater will be 200' away. The plumber said to run 2" poly. Not sure if this is to big.
The problem is that the Natural gas feed from the street is 3/4" pipe. I was at my sisters house and i looked at her feeder size, it was 1 1/4"
she just had hers installed also. Did the gas company run to small of a feeder?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The supply pressure makes a huge difference...after the regulator, in most cases, you have about 1/2-pound of gas pressure. Prior to the meter, it can be considerably higher than that...higher pressure allows a smaller pipe. They probably did you no favors by using a 150...unless the house is huge and very leaky, that could be 2-3x bigger than required, and thus less efficient and more money up front. Replacing with a same-sized boiler that's been in for awhile, is rarely the correct thing to do. As to the size of the pipe, it would depend on the distance to the burner, how many turns it needs to make (each elbow slows down things and acts like a slight flow restrictor while the gas is flowing) and how many BTU it uses to determine the proper sized supply line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The meter will have a CFM rating, and THAT is what will determine whether you an connect a pool heater to it. The size of the supply line TO ehe meter is somewhat irrelevant because it is at a very high pressure compared to what they supply to your home.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you Really need a 2 inch Gas line for a Pool heater, I would install a solar pool cover. Save a bunch of money.

The Idea of a pool in the first place is to cool off, Not warm up.

If you want to swim in the winter You may be spoiled.

Solar heating works in the winter also, and it is Free. Until the GOV taxes you for having it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ONe of my customers wanted a heated pool so he had a propane heater connected to the pool and they installed a HUGE propane tank, (it looked like a small tank car). They fired up the heater and the next day the pool was warm, but then the propane truck arrived. He asked them why they were there and they said, "Because the tank is empty". He NEVER turned the heater on again, and since the only other use was for a small 30 gallon water heater it took years to burn off enough gas so they could pick up the tank. Every few months they would show up to see how it was going.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks