My plumber can’t find a replacement brass horn to hang my toilet. Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

julia_o_malley

Reaction score
I replaced my old pink wall hung toilets 10 years ago — my house was built in 1967. My duplex has four of these new wall hung toilets. This one started to leak this summer from the underneath. I called a plumber to help replace the foam ring. They had trouble getting that done, there was still leaking, it got moldy. Now I have a toilet laying on the floor, a hole in the wall, they say that the problem isn’t the ring but the a worn fitting on the wall that the guy is calling a “carrier horn.” From what I gather it is “3 and brass. He says they can’t find one and have to basically replace the whole toilet and suggested there needs to be digging into my slab and opening walls. I live in Anchorage but I cannot be the only person with this problem. Help?

Attachments

• IMG_8851.jpeg
    IMG_8851.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8850.jpeg
    IMG_8850.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 71496626272__56D46F4C-3639-4433-8DCE-843D708E0854.jpeg
    71496626272__56D46F4C-3639-4433-8DCE-843D708E0854.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 130

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
but I cannot be the only person with this problem. Help?
In my 30+ years of experience.. I've never seen that exact setup. And I can't even find anything remotely close to that. Scoured 3 manufactures DWV catalogs and none have that fitting.

A skilled roofer or car body worker who does lead work could probably solder on a bit more copper/brass flat material to re-shape that...

But likely your best bet is to camera the drain, figure exactly what is buried under the slab and where it goes and get a floor mounted toilet setup.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my 30+ years of experience.. I've never seen that exact setup. And I can't even find anything remotely close to that. Scoured 3 manufactures DWV catalogs and none have that fitting.

A skilled roofer or car body worker who does lead work could probably solder on a bit more copper/brass flat material to re-shape that...

But likely your best bet is to camera the drain, figure exactly what is buried under the slab and where it goes and get a floor mounted toilet setup.
I think a semi skilled homeowner or equal ability plumber could fix it. I belive that most of the regulars on here could handle this repair. even I might be able to fix it.
good idea on the camera and snake assure it flows good as well

Fitter30

Reaction score

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
After wire wheeling the brass to clean it up then form this x pando on it. Can use it to repair flanges sure it could that fitting.
OK.. I've never used this product before but what about using some form of adhesive like this or possibly even soldering on a flat brass or copper disc that mimics the existing toilet flange. Would likely need to move the bolts and location of the toilet to match. But theres enough flat surface on the existing flange.. Make sure to clean and caulk/solder the interior seam really well.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Think it would be very hard to solder in a vertical position even with tinning the brass. Copper or brass plate use a aquarium sealant.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have two of those, but you can't have them. What you need are the wax less horns that stick to the back of the toilet and will insert into that old horn.

I recently removed a back to back toilet like this and kept the carrier and horns, but I plan on possibly using them elsewhere, I already used/sold the carrier. This must have been a popular thing in this region, but I've come across a few of them.

sberfield

Reaction score
I didn't, but it was pretty straightforward. The fitting is rubber and has adhesive that sticks to the toilet and a flanged part that goes into the pipe.

I wire brushed the inside of the brass horn and pipe. Then I tried it the way the instructions said to do it - stick it to the toilet then mount it, but I could not get enough leverage to get the thing into the pipe.

Instead, I drove the fitting into the horn first using a rubber mallet being careful not to mess up the adhesive. Then I hung the toilet.

Worked a treat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks