Multiple saddle valves

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by andrew_karre, Dec 13, 2004.

1. andrew_karre

andrew_karre New Member

Is there any reason why I shouldn't have two saddle-valve connected appliance s on a cold-water suplly line under a kitchen sink (an ice maker and a hot-water dispenser)?

Thanks much,
    Andrew
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I personally don't like them and would rather put in real shutoff valves, but my guess from a DIY viewpoint is it's okay. The seal on those things is a little bit of rubber. It pierces the copper to let the water in. On most of them I've read the instructions for say not to use them as a volume control, but they do (usually) let you shut it off. If it gets knocked and you turn it off, it can make the hole larger when you screw it back in. Not usually a problem.

I've seen a 3-way shutoff valve in a catalog. Replace the existing valve with a 3-way, and no saddle valves needed.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Saddle valves

The general opinion from the plumbers on this board is that saddle valves are not too good. It is not a question of will they fail, but when will they fail. I got rid of the one that lead to my ice maker for that reason.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

One saddle valve is bad enough, why would you want to use two of them? If you insist on using one, just use one and tee the second device into the copper tube after the valve.