Mueller tub seats replacement problem

Users who are viewing this thread

JacekJ

Reaction score
Have an old Mueller tub assembly which is leaking. Replacing washers does't work anymore. Finally found that I have to replace a seats. The problem is they wont come out because they are too big (see picture 4). Any advise will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 830
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,143

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What do you mean by "they are too big"? They were small enough to put in there in the first place. You are doing something wrong if you cannot get them out. Picture #4 just shows a stem and packing nut, nothing to do with the seat.

JacekJ

Reaction score
Hi. thanks for reply. Picture 4 shows unscrewed seat inside a fixture. seat outside diameter seems bigger that the fixture. Here is what is inside on picture 4

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 744

JacekJ

Reaction score
This is a wrench I used. Problem is I can not take seat out. Do I have to remove another part before seat will be free. What I need is a schematics of Mueller tab assembly

Attachments

• seat wrench.jpg
    seat wrench.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 817

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Let me ask you a question. IF the seat is larger than the opening, HOW did they install it originally? IF you could remove the stem, then you have taken everything apart that you could.

JacekJ

Reaction score
Well I am not sure if I removed everything. Here is another picture, how can I remove the part in which stem is sitting? (next 2 pictures)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 786
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 787

Reach4

Reaction score
Arrow 1 points to the seat. The smooth side that is up would have come out first. Arrow 2 points to some kind of debris that seems to be wedging the seat in. I would find some needle-nose tweezers or whatever small tool you have and try to get that debris out, or at least not interfering with removing the seat. Then I would fish the seat back to its original position and try to pull it out. An old dental pick can be a good tool for this. The old tools are often sold to hobbyists. A tiny jeweler's screwdriver or a straightened+rebent paper clip may be an OK tool.

pix_2.GIF

JacekJ

Reaction score
April 15 2015 007.jpg
Thanks for a great advice, it worked. I used small hook and was able to remove seat which was damaged. Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice picture. That new seat going to make a big difference. While you are on a roll, you might replace the other seat and washer too. Then you can close the faucets much more lightly.

I like to lightly lube the stem with silicone grease.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you had shown us the picture with the seat "sideways" originally we could have told you IMMEDIATELY why you were having a problem removing it. You should have reinserted the wrench you used to unscrew it, then used IT to take the seat out of the faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks