Muddy Water Filling Up Sink and Dishwasher-SOS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

bnell

Reaction score
Hi I live in the northeast. Last month temps went down into the single digits. Had some burst pipes in my house. Around the same time started having a problem with dirty water backing up into the kitchen sink and dishwasher in the 1st floor apartment. (They had not been in use since the summer time.) At first it was water backing up from dishwasher to sink or the reverse-sink to dishwasher. However, now both are filling up with water, at the same time, periodically until they overflow. Took steps to clear clogged drain (plunging, Drano) because thought that might have been the problem. However, don't think it is a simple clog because I'm finding sediment and on occasion what looks like mud in the sink. Trying to get an idea of what I'm dealing with before I contact a plumber. Thanks for any insight you can offer!!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The first thing that needs to be done is to have the lines snaked and rodded to see if they can be cleared. If the main line is restricted, any waste from the house is going to come back up into the lowest fixture drains first.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice!

If you are on Long Island, Ranger Sewer in Suffolk covers the whole Island and has done good work for us unclogging some very-pernicious indoor and outdoor drains that others could not open. He was recommended by respected plumber MacPlumb. His prices are reasonable, especially for the service provided and the tenacity he shows.

If you need a plumber, we have been using Maccarone in Glen Cove. The cover the Island as well as the City, including Manhattan. They are expensive but they do excellent work and get it done right the first time.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks