Moving toilet across bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

OneStaple

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm working on a complete bathroom remodel (DIY), including knocking down some closet walls to expand the bathroom. Our ideal setup would include moving the toilet across the bathroom, but now that I have the subfloor up, I'm not confident that it's possible.

In the pictures, the white PVC is the current drainage system (only the toilet and main stack shown for simplicity, not the shower and vanity). The red closet flange is where I want to move the toilet to. The main stack and the toilet drain are both 3" PVC. The right side of the bathroom, which the new toilet location is over, has an open cavity under the joists. Joists are 2x10's with about a 5' span on the right side.

I realize that I'd have to add a vent to the toilet drain due to the length of the horizontal run, if I can even get the drain over there. It seems that given the current connection point into the main stack, I would have to go through the joists to maintain the right drainage slope, so utilizing the space under the joists wouldn't be possible. That would mean punching holes in the joists to run the drain, but with a 3.5" OD, my understanding is that it's not up to code for the 2x10 joists.

Soooo, thoughts? Is this possible in some way, or do I need to be coming up with a different bathroom layout?

Thanks,
Tyler

Attachments

• Plumbing layout1_smaller.jpg
    Plumbing layout1_smaller.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Plumbing layout2_smaller.jpg
    Plumbing layout2_smaller.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 409

Sluggo

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm working on a complete bathroom remodel (DIY), including knocking down some closet walls to expand the bathroom. Our ideal setup would include moving the toilet across the bathroom, but now that I have the subfloor up, I'm not confident that it's possible.

In the pictures, the white PVC is the current drainage system (only the toilet and main stack shown for simplicity, not the shower and vanity). The red closet flange is where I want to move the toilet to. The main stack and the toilet drain are both 3" PVC. The right side of the bathroom, which the new toilet location is over, has an open cavity under the joists. Joists are 2x10's with about a 5' span on the right side.

I realize that I'd have to add a vent to the toilet drain due to the length of the horizontal run, if I can even get the drain over there. It seems that given the current connection point into the main stack, I would have to go through the joists to maintain the right drainage slope, so utilizing the space under the joists wouldn't be possible. That would mean punching holes in the joists to run the drain, but with a 3.5" OD, my understanding is that it's not up to code for the 2x10 joists.

Soooo, thoughts? Is this possible in some way, or do I need to be coming up with a different bathroom layout?

Thanks,
Tyler
If you really like the design you want to go with, and you have access to the joists, would it be possible -- and worth the work --to remove those short joists on the right side and run them 90 degrees to how they are now? If you can rearrange the joists, there may be a way to get over to that location without doing something that's not to code.

OneStaple

Reaction score
Hmmm, turning the short joists 90 degrees is interesting, but I'd still have to turn the drain 90 degrees to go toward the stack, and I can't think of how to do that without going through at least one joist. I'll have to think about and look at it a bit more to see if I can come up with something creative.

i don't know all the codes on joists, but given that it's about a 5' span, isn't a 2x10 joist way overkill? Would switching to 2x6 joists (or similar) be possible? I think that still meets the recommended deflection requirements for tiling the floor.

I also looked at ways to get the toilet drain through the walls to the 3" stack for the bathroom down the hall, but I'm not coming up with anything that doesn't require me pulling the house to pieces.

I'll look a bit more, but I suspect that I'll have to come up with a different layout for the bathroom. I'm sure I'll be back to make sure I'm doing all the drainage/vents right.

Thanks!
Tyler

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks