Moving sinks = replumbing?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by kludlow, Feb 24, 2010.

1. kludlow

kludlow New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    NY, NY
    I'm about to start a bathroom "facelift" which means a complete retile, new vanity and vanity top. My contractor built his entire house, doing all the plumbing and electrical work. My question is this:

If the new vanity is taller and wider, then the sinks have to move 3 inches to one side and up. Does this require new plumbing, or is it a simple redirect? I'm wondering what the risks are, and whether this would be considered "replumbing" if he doesn't have insurance.

ps. I know him, so I trust him, but I'm concerned about the liability in my building. No matter how skilled, shit happens.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Often, replacing a fixture requires a permit. Depending on where you live, that may require a licensed plumber to do it. Now, does this always happen? No. The enforcement is often more strict on multiple occupant dwellings verses a single family detached home. In NY - it probably requires a permit. I don't know for sure.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Dec 2, 2005
    Plumbing Designer
    SW Florida
    Generally it would only require some modification of your trap assembly, though with only knowing what little info you provided that is just a guess.