Moving a Shower Arm

Users who are viewing this thread

KCLaGrange

Reaction score
A friend of mine broke a shower arm off in her wall. The outlet for the shower arm was originally placed too close the the door and we want to know if we can use ells and nipples to move the outlet over 4 to 6" without tearing the shower out and revamping the shower plumbing. She has old galvanized steel plumbing. Thanks

MikeDean

Reaction score
Broken Shower Arm Removal

I have a similar problem. My thin wall shower arm is broken. I tried an internal pipe wrench, but it did not work because the internal pipe wrench is for galvanized pipes whose internal diameter is more like 5/8" (rather than 1/2"). I also tried a huge screw extractor, but there isn't enough clearance in the elbow leading to the broker shower arm to grip onto to the screw extractor.

Questions:
Can I remove the broken part that remains in the elbow without tearing down the wall?

If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Is there any of the shower arm left protruding from the elbow? You might be able to use a small chisel to bend it toward the center of the el, then slice it down one side, then peel it out with a pair of needlenose pliers.

As I understand your screw extractor attempt, the extractor bottomed out before gripping the pipe. If that's the case, you could sacrifice the extractor by cutting off however much it would take to allow it to reach in enough to grip the arm remnant. This will take a die grinder or cutoff wheel.

In any case you (obviously) want to avoid damaging the threads on the elbow, and use lots of tape and dope when putting in the new arm.

MikeDean

Reaction score
Thanks, Mikey.

Unfortunately, there isn't ANY protrusion at all.

As for cutting for an amount of the extractor, what tools should I use? The extractor is an IRWIN screw extractor.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Screw extractors are hardened steel, so you'll need a die grinder with a cutoff wheel on it (sometimes called a "whiz wheel"). A RotoZip tool kit usually comes with one of these in it.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score

Attachments

• Nipple Extractor 2.jpg
    Nipple Extractor 2.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 526
  • Nipple Extractor 1.jpg
    Nipple Extractor 1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 511

MikeDean

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

These nipple extractors are also called internal wrenches. I tried them already, they do not work because of the thin-wall shower arm.

Unlike galvanized pipes whose internal diameters are 1/2" that would work with the nipple extractors, thin-wall nipples and arms have internal diameter of about 5/8".

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try using an irrigation nipple extractor. They make one that is larger than the one pictured. (You'll have to search for it at an irrigation store.) It is tapered to fit id's between 1/2" and 3/4". Just pound it in and turn it ccw. As my Grandmother used to say, "It can't hoit."

Last edited:

The Marble Guy

Cultured Marble installer /remodeler
Reaction score
You can still use a nail or pick to get in behind it and roll it out with a pair of pliers. Just take your time and get a little piece started and get the needle nose wedged in behind it. Then it should kinda roll a strip off. You said it was thin wall so use it to your advantage.
You can do it!

TMG

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Marble Guy said:
You can still use a nail or pick to get in behind it and roll it out with a pair of pliers. Just take your time and get a little piece started and get the needle nose wedged in behind it. Then it should kinda roll a strip off. You said it was thin wall so use it to your advantage.
You can do it!

TMG

He might mess up the pipe threads if He takes that approach. Then he'll be in deep doo doo.

MikeDean

Reaction score
Just want to update my progress.

I decided to use a hacksaw to make two opposite slots in the nipple (without cutting the threads of the elbow).

Once the slots were made, I used a 11/16 space bit that tightly fits in the slots.

I then turned the space bit with a hammer claw counterclockwise.

I was then able to remove the nipple.

Thanks for all the great advices.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
MikeDean said:
Just want to update my progress.

I decided to use a hacksaw to make two opposite slots in the nipple (without cutting the threads of the elbow).

Once the slots were made, I used a 11/16 space bit that tightly fits in the slots.

I then turned the space bit with a hammer claw counterclockwise.

I was then able to remove the nipple.

Thanks for all the great advices.

Very inventive. Good job! BTW, What's a space bit? Is it the same as a standard drill bit?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
MikeDean said:
I am sorry. It was SPADE bit, not space bit.

I thought maybe you had found one of the tools the astronauts dropped when they were working on the space station.;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks