"Moveable" Brine Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

bingow

Reaction score
Anyone put their brine tank on a roller platform? I have a tight closet space for our water system components, and had previously ruled out a new twin tank 64k grain softener over a single 96k grain due to the system footprint of the twin. But by putting the 18" dia. brine tank on a platform with casters (about 3" high total), I could roll the tank out in the hall to both fill it or to allow access to other stuff. The tank would always be within about 6' of the softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. You will be dealing with some significant weight. I would be thinking 500 lb capacity. I would make the brine line 10 ft or so to give more slack and avoid kinking.

Last edited:

bingow

Reaction score
Thanks, @Reach4 . Agree. I'd also be able to move a stepstool next to the tank, to lift the salt bags in two lifts vs one. Those 40# bags get heavier every year.

bingow

Reaction score
Ha! Rube Goldberg would be proud. A vacuum powered salt bag lift would also be great. Found mega-$$$ versions online, so the stepstool "rest stop" will have to keep us in business for awhile.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect some 30 gallon steel drum dolly may be a good choice.
Z31K3yfo5oy.JPG

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-drum-dolly-1000-lb-6-12-in-h-30-gal-1xuz8/i/G0867955/
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200693549_200693549

For salt https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=lifting cart

bingow

Reaction score
Eureka! Thanks Reach4. I see that some versions are non-tipping, have a brake and are very low profile. Much classier than the DIY design I had in mind. A justifiable added cost to an expensive system. We're not quite yet ready for the lifting cart...

Fitter30

Reaction score
Hand crank winch , lifting strap and two 3"cable pulleys. Winch can be mounted on a wall one pulley mounted on ceiling above it the other pulley where you need it to lift the salt. Strap to go around the bag. 2x4 for mounting the pulleys to spread he weight out between joists. Under $100 for all the pieces.

bingow

Reaction score
Thanks @fitter30, I have a similar rig in our tool shed for our 42" riding mower, for blade & tire changes & lube. The downside for the budget version I ended up with is the cranking noise. May just be the way I have it mounted. Someone suggested much earlier that the best solution would be a grandkid, but my nearest is 600 miles away.

Bannerman

Reaction score
An alternate option, allow the salt to be depleted and fully clean and sanitize the brine tank before transferring onto the cart.

A cart with 5 casters will offer additional stability against tipping compared to 4-wheels.

bingow

Reaction score
An alternate option, allow the salt to be depleted and fully clean and sanitize the brine tank before transferring onto the cart.

A cart with 5 casters will offer additional stability against tipping compared to 4-wheels.

The alternate option is the zero cost way to go, but I failed to mention earlier two shut-off valves behind the resin tanks I may need to get to quick. I'd need to draw a plan view of everything for it all to make sense, but the roll-out tank will give quick, full access.

Agree about 5 casters; so far what I've found of those are for 55 gal bbl. But they're everywhere so I'll keep looking. Trying to keep it max $60. Have yet to make decision on twin tanks. Thanks; you guys are a great net source.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think pulling the dolly out with one or two cords attached at the dolly, and putting back by pushing low, will make tipping improbable.

bingow

Reaction score
I think pulling the dolly out with one or two cords attached at the dolly, and putting back by pushing low, will make tipping improbable.

Yes; it'll be on smooth concrete, as is all of the first floor. If I can buy the 18x30" tank or even the 33"tank, it ought to roll out stable enough. Currently, we have to refill our cabinet style every 12 days (only 0.81 ft3 resin; cabinet holds 160# salt max), so twin 2 ft3 alternating tanks ought to give us a break.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks