Moen Tub Faucet Shower Pull No Longer Works

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by SteveOr, Dec 24, 2009.

1. SteveOr

SteveOr New Member

I have a Moen shower and the pull on/push off valve on the tub faucet no longer works very well after four months of non use. I've tried to search this forum for this issue but I'm not sure if I used the right search terms. From what I can see the rod pulls up a plastic plate which closes off the faucet sending the water up to the shower. Apparently there is no longer a tight seal. Anyone know of a quick remedy vice replacing the entire faucet head?
    Thanks, Steve
  2. krow

krow Plumber

It sounds like you have a "push buttom diverter". 3 options you can do

1) unsrew the diverter fro m the valve body and clean it with vinegar and water, then lubricate with silicone grease
    or
    2)Call moen, 1-800 number and explain your problem. They may send you a new diverter free of charge
    or
    3) abandon the diverter and replace your spout with a diverter spout (I don't recommend this, but its an easy fix)
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

It is not a pushbutton diverter, it is a diverter tub spout. Generally, they are not repairable. You could do as suggested and spray some white vinegar up into the nose and let it soak., then operate the pull-up button several times with water running.
  4. krow

krow Plumber

My bad, I misunderstood.

Replacement of the diverter spout is probably the best option in this case
  5. SteveOr

SteveOr New Member

The call to Moen did the trick. They sent me a free diverter repair kit which contains a pull knob, plastic faceplate, gasket, and directions. 1-2-3 and back to full shower pressure. Thanks.