Moen shower valve -- wrong direction for hot?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by SteveW, Oct 22, 2005.

1. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

I recently took off the plastic handle (for cleaning) on my one-piece Moen shower valve -- don't know which model, but it's about 15 years old and has a plastic "teardrop" shaped handle.

After reinstalling the handle, the valve seems "backwards" -- before, I'd rotate it counterclockwise for hot, but now it rotates clockwise for hot.

I looked up Moen's web site but didn't find any answer there --

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve W.
    Omaha, NE
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Moen

Take the handle off again and then rotate the cartridge 180 degrees........
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Moen

Do what he says, but make sure you only rotate the stem, not the entire cartridge. In other words, do not do anything that you have to turn the water off to the house to do it. I once had to drive 30 miles to do it for a customer because he insisted on rotating the cartridge even when I insisted that he only had to spin the stem halfway. It took about 5 seconds, and a lot of dollars, for me to do it for him.
  4. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Thanks, gents! Worked like a charm. Would never have thought to rotate that stem (and I really can't figure why it worked).

Steve