Moen Shower Head Flow

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I have this Moen S3879EP hand held shower from their "90 Degree" collection in my guest bath. The handheld is the only shower head in the shower.

According to this Moen document, the "EP" suffix denotes a 2.0 GPM model, vs. "EP17" which denotes 1.75 GPM. So seemingly, I have the 2.0 GPM version.

This has been installed for nearly two years, but I've just recently started to use this shower while my master bath is being renovated.

I feel like the volume of water leaves something to be desired. Is it possible there is a flow restrictor that can be removed?

Figured I'd ask before I start dissecting things.

Thanks!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water conservation is a thing. I tell my customers to get used to it.. Save the everglades.
Sometimes altering the flow restrictor can cause a seal to leak.. or you get unrestricted flow and now your water heater can't keep up with demand.
Judging by the model you provided I think you have the 1.75gpm unit. Moen may be able to provide the 2.0.. but it might not be legal for them to ship to certain locations based on water conservation laws.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
...Judging by the model you provided I think you have the 1.75gpm unit. Moen may be able to provide the 2.0.. but it might not be legal for them to ship to certain locations based on water conservation laws.

Curious why you think I likely have the 1.75 GPM model? Anything is possible but according to my receipt, the model I purchased is S3879EP and the documentation says:

FLOW
• EP17 suffix models designed to deliver 1.75 gpm (6.7 L/min) max
• EP suffix models designted to deliver 2.0 gpm (7/6 L/min) max at 80 psi

Unfortunately, I can't find any identifying marks on the unit itself.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It may be possible to either remove or drill out (slightly) the restriction. On some, it is molded in, on others, there's a replaceable restrictor.

The design of a shower head also plays a factor in how it 'feels'. IOW, some other handheld may be much to your liking with the same volume.

FL has some issues with drawing down the aquifer, letting salt water intrude, and the ground subsiding. Every drop makes a difference in aggregate.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
So this is what was in the shower head/wand. Is this a purpose built flow restrictor?

Or is this a necessary "prefilter" of some sort that shouldn't be removed?

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Good lord, what a difference! Just showered with that device removed. No complaints any longer.

There was a substantial (and enjoyable) increase in flow/pressure with the insert removed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any handheld requires a vacuum breaker. It appears that that one relies on a dual-function device, both the flow restrictor and the vacuum breaker. The vacuum breaker is required to prevent a hiccup in the supply from sucking water back into the supply if the head was sitting in water and polluting your supply (similar idea to what's required for yard sprinkler systems).

Now, you can buy in-line vacuum breakers that could restore that function.

So, continue at your own risk for both your family and potentially the neighborhood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks