Moen Monticello Roman Tub Valve Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Wpollock

Reaction score
This is my first post so forgive me if I inadvertently break any rules.
I have a Moen two handle Monticello Roman Tub valve installed in 1996. The cartridges are still good but the handle on the cold side turns past the stop position and will turn completely around. I have verified that the stop located inside the handle is not broken. I spoke with Moen and was told that there is a stop on the stem extension which is probably broken and which can be repaired without having to replace the entire cartridge.

Any input as to whether this is true and what is required to do so is appreciated.
I have included a picture of the valve for review.

thanks,

wpollock

Attachments

• P1010478.jpg
    P1010478.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 5,574
  • master tub 1.jpg
    master tub 1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2,023
  • master tub 2.jpg
    master tub 2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 2,678
  • master tub 3.jpg
    master tub 3.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,654

Wpollock

Reaction score
thanks for replying hj. when you say unscrew the nut and pull the extension out, are you:

1. referring to the silver nut shown in my picture and which screws onto the valve body?
2. saying the top white plastic piece also shown in the same picture is the stem extension and can simply be removed without the stem by pulling up on it?

thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes to both. However, there is also a "stop" on the valve cartridge that could have broken off, but it is more often a broken extension causing the problem.The extension is a two piece one with splines between the two pieces. When you install the new top piece, you have to "orient" it so the handle is in the correct location.

gtoml

Reaction score
More tips from DIYer, just completed. original faucet in a '99 built house. Looks the same as pics from the OP. Hard water in the HOU area, so everything is seriously stuck. I had to have the Cartridge Removal Tool and silicone grease to complete.

Search for "moen roman tub t304b' PDF online and look at the TO DISASSEMBLE VALVE: page for reference. Missing from the image is the geared plastic 'handle extension' that slides in/out of the Stem Extension and actually mates with the handle for turning. Slide that part out and remove the Stem Extension screw and pull it out. Pour in some vinegar now, seemed to help on the 2nd side.

The Escutheon Adjuster has a couple of keys on the inside. I was able to use cartridge removal tool to get it to turn. I was slow and careful, but eventually the tool eats away those keys. Wrapping elec. tape around the tool edges may help. Lucky for me, it was unscrewed enough to grab the unthreaded part with pliers. Reinsert the Stem Extension and handle extension assembly 1st, so the Escutcheon Adjuster does not flex, or it won't turn. Hold this assembly up so it does not engage with the cartridge . This was slow going. the hardest part for me.

I did some cleaning of the threads with a brass wire brush. The Cartridge Retainer Nut came out OK with the tool. I used a 2 1/2" drywall screw, a hammer and a block of wood to pry out the cartridge (thanks to tips from this and other the websites).

It was critical for me to get the new cartridge keyed into the slot going down. It's tight, there was no turning it down in the tube. Use a marker and flashlight to make marks on the metal and cartridge to help. Also look for any debris that may need to be flushed out in the pipe. Reattach the Stem Extension to the cartridge, grease all the o-rings, and tap into place, with the wood block if necessary. It was not easy to tell when it was fully seated. Reinstall the Cartridge Retainer Nut and test for leaks. I had to re-pull the 1st cartridge to get it set right.

Side notes: handle turned the 'wrong way' to turn on/off, after assembly. Turn off water and remove the Stem Extension. Use it to turn the cartridge 180 degrees by holding it up and get past the stop. Pipes took a crazy long time to drain. Maybe this is the low spot in a 2 story, but I was suspecting the shutoff was not working. Turn on all the house faucets to speed things up, and don't forget to turn off before turning the water back on.

Thanks to all who have helped. Hope this helps someone else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks