Moen 7300 Faucet deck plate retaining ring removal tool?

Users who are viewing this thread

wallhanger

Reaction score
The image is a faucet body of a Moen 7300 series legend kitchen faucet. Immediately above the chrome deck plate is a nickel colored snap ring with a gap in it.

Is there an inexpensive tool I can purchase to get that ring off and not have it fly into my face or across the room. (I am an older homeowner and will likely never need this type of tool again.)

The closest thing I have found so far is a $35 pair of special circlip pliers at home depot. I don't want to spend $35 on a one time use tool and I also think the special "grippers" on the outsides of the jaws have too much vertical height to fit into the narrow gap on the faucet body.

Is there some other type of tool that would be used to remove and replace this ring?

moen-7300.jpg

20200905_124131.jpg

GoingQuiet

In the Trades
Reaction score
That’s just plastic, very little tension if you pry it off. It’s outside diameter (when in place, as pictured) is larger than the brass channels which retain it. Think of it as a bearing that helps keep the spout centered during rotation around the machined brass valve body. It’s presence will reduce wear on the large o-ring just above. Personally never witnessed that part worn out.

I’d typically skip that part when replacing the spout o-rings, unless it came in the parts kit that Moen sends you. You could slip a thermostat screwdriver or eyeglass screwdriver into the gap at a 45 degree angle and pop that part out easily. Since it’s not a metallic part there’s not enough spring tension to launch it away. As you gently pry one edge out of the channel, lift that edge up above the o-ring and you’ll be able to walk it around, up and off. I wouldn’t just push it straight off like you normally would with a metallic external c-clip.

If you are the original homeowner from when the faucet was new, Moen will send you generally any part at no cost. Just be sure to have in mind roughly the year it was installed and be prepared to explain specifically why you require each item, should they vet you. Feel free to call them and request a parts breakdown schematic ahead of time. The actual ordering of whatever parts that you need goes very smoothly if you have the part numbers and descriptions listed ahead of time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks