Simple bathtub faucet repair

Users who are viewing this thread

cedstrom

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a leaky bathtub single-handle faucet, which is a should be a pretty easy DIY repair, so I had the faucet apart this evening, but ran into a little hitch with the disassembly.

Basically, I shut off the water supply, and removed the cover plate, handle, and chrome surround, as well as the plastic collar. At this point, I'd expect to see some type of threaded ring-nut, or metal clip to hold the "mixing valve" in place.

Alas, I can't find any such retaining device. Rather it looks like the remaining piece is one single molded plastic cover, with threading on the outside to accept the surround and 8 trapezoidal indents in the middle. I'm guessing that the mixing valve sits behind this little piece.

I was wondering if someone could take a look at the following pictures and make a suggestion. Is there perhaps a specific tool that goes into these 8 indents and allows me to turn this whole piece counter-clockwise to unscrew? The plastic is far too soft to allow me to attempt to unscrew with large pliers, so there's something else going on.

You can see pictures of the removed parts here:

http://www.christianedstrom.com/faucet/parts1.jpg

and there are two different views of the cover here:

http://www.christianedstrom.com/faucet/

Any advice much appreciated. The building is a 1920s apartment, but the faucet appears to be fairly new. Less than 15 years old, at least. No discernible brand or markings anywhere.

Best regards,
- Christian

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
faucet repair

You have only removed the Handle assembly [porcelain cross accent and chrome handle base], and the chrome threaded escutcheon sleeve (retaining nut) in your pictures. That threaded sleeve is the only faucet part holding the large chrome cover plate or escutcheon on, except maybe some caulking. Remove the that cover plate and you should find a flange with 4 screws around that threaded plastic piece. Removing these screws will allow you to remove that front plastic part of the housing, a large O-ring, a small O-ring, the plastic stem extension, the balancing spool cartridge, and finally two small oblong O-rings.

That is a pressure ballanced price pfister faucet, It may have built in stops (screw driver slot on each side of the control valve) to turn off the water while you make your repairs. Be sure to turn off the water before removing the four screws.

Good luck finding the repair parts, hope they are more plentiful in your area.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks