Mixet balance spool probably clogged

Users who are viewing this thread

steve moore

Reaction score
I have a mixet pressure balance shower assembly. (First of this kind I have seen)
I also have no cold water.
Water is present at the cold stop (right side valve) but is not continuing past the balancer spool.
My problem is removing said spool.

The spool has a slot in it's center and flats on either side.
Due to it's age a screwdriver (even with a wrench assist) will not budge it.
With only 2 flats a socket is useless and it's too deep to get a normal wrench on.

Short of using a basin wrench and run the risk of buggering the flats is there a special tool for this?

Attachments

• mixet_faucet_aSSY.jpg
    mixet_faucet_aSSY.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 3,887

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't understand your diagram, but I like the long nose Vice Grip pliers for things with 2 flats where I have to reach into something.
114-641.01_s500_p1._V8036c1d8_.jpg

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
This is similar to a Moentrol balancing spool, same as Delta. You might catch it with a basin wrench. Try the below first, then basin wrench, then hammer and chisel. I've drilled them before, too. Believe it or not, it's just a dinky oring sealing it, along with brass to brass corrosion.

Have you tried using a crescent wrench on end? In other words go straight in and over the flats from the top (facing out). Use as big a one you have that will fit, and you can use a long screwdriver through the handle hole for leverage, or just grab it with channel locks.

Once out, you'll probably find the shuttle (inside part) stuck. Likely no plugs - possible though. Judicious tapping should loosen it, and some *very* light sanding or just polishing should restore it to where it slides freely back and forth in it's bore.

Also, you can try a couple of hard raps on the valve itself where the spool is - it could free the spool up *if* that's what it is and it's not too stuck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks