Mixet balance spool probably clogged

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by steve moore, Jul 19, 2014.

1. steve moore

steve moore New Member

I have a mixet pressure balance shower assembly. (First of this kind I have seen)
    I also have no cold water.
    Water is present at the cold stop (right side valve) but is not continuing past the balancer spool.
    My problem is removing said spool.

The spool has a slot in it's center and flats on either side.
    Due to it's age a screwdriver (even with a wrench assist) will not budge it.
    With only 2 flats a socket is useless and it's too deep to get a normal wrench on.

Short of using a basin wrench and run the risk of buggering the flats is there a special tool for this?

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I don't understand your diagram, but I like the long nose Vice Grip pliers for things with 2 flats where I have to reach into something. [​IMG]
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If it does not work with a Crescent, open end, or crow's foot, wrench on the two flats, then I use a hammer and chisel and "drift it".
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A basin wrench will be useless.
  5. plumberjeff

plumberjeff Mister Plumber

This is similar to a Moentrol balancing spool, same as Delta. You might catch it with a basin wrench. Try the below first, then basin wrench, then hammer and chisel. I've drilled them before, too. Believe it or not, it's just a dinky oring sealing it, along with brass to brass corrosion.

Have you tried using a crescent wrench on end? In other words go straight in and over the flats from the top (facing out). Use as big a one you have that will fit, and you can use a long screwdriver through the handle hole for leverage, or just grab it with channel locks.

Once out, you'll probably find the shuttle (inside part) stuck. Likely no plugs - possible though. Judicious tapping should loosen it, and some *very* light sanding or just polishing should restore it to where it slides freely back and forth in it's bore.

Also, you can try a couple of hard raps on the valve itself where the spool is - it could free the spool up *if* that's what it is and it's not too stuck.