Minimum distance? extractor fan to window in bathroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeffpo

Reaction score
Hi,

Homeowner working on a remodel in California. Existing extractor fan is on the wall and is a direct vent to the outside. I have been told by my window installer that code requires that the fan must be 36" from the window. Based on the configuration of the room, this would be quite difficult. The ceiling joists run parallel with the window wall so it's not possible to move it to the center of the room. I don't want to build a soffit. I will be renovating the room and there will be a shower to the left of the existing fan. I could conceivably move the fan to the left INTO the shower area but I am not sure this is advisable, preferable, or to code. Does anyone know about this 36" requirement? Is it measured to the open portion of the window or to the entire window space? Is it in reference to the fan location or the exterior exhaust/vent location? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_5087.JPG
    IMG_5087.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 143

Jeffpo

Reaction score
Code is 3' (UMC) relates to the termination of the exhaust...called environmental air discharge. Inspectors are sometimes understanding and sometimes unreasonable.
Thanks for the insight. Yes, I guess I'm kinda at the mercy of the inspector. Given the configuration and constraints in this room I'm not sure it's physically possible to maintain the 3' and have it clear of the window.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks