Maximum time between regens with clear water iron

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by dfasdf45, Dec 29, 2009.

1. dfasdf45

dfasdf45 DIY Junior Member

Hi,

Is there a recomended maximum time between regens when clear water iron is present? I have 20gpg hardness with 2ppm iron.

Thanks
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

How many people in the house.
    Size of unit that is in question.
  3. dfasdf45

2 people
    30k unit
  4. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

If it is a control working with a day clock, going every x number of days, and using 60 gallons per person per day.
    I would set the unit at every 6 days, if you are using 9-12lbs per cleaning.
    If you have it at 6-8lbs, then every 4 days.

That is what I would be setting one of my customers at. If it was running on gallons, then 800gallons.
  5. dfasdf45

If it is a flow based control with a max days between recharges, then should I let the flow control trigger the regen with no max days between recharges?

In other words, is it better to have a maximum number of days between recharges enabled when clear water iron is present to prevent possible long term fouling of the resin?

Thanks
  6. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

What control are we working with?
    What brand is this unit?
  7. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

You should be looking at a 1.5 cuft instead of a 1.0 cuft. Otherwise your salt efficiency for your 27k of regenerated capacity is not going to be very good. Plus you pick up 3 more gpm in the constant SFR.

How many bathrooms and any large tubs or two person showers or any body sprays?
  8. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

That or how many are Teenagers.

Over the long run you are right, the 1.5 cubic has lower salt usage and will do a better flow rate.
  9. dfasdf45

it's an ecowater control.

currently using 70-100 gallons per day and recharging appoximatly every 8-9 days. We are well within the SFR for this unit.

With 2ppm iron should I be using the calendar override to force a recharge sooner to help preserve the life of the resin from excessive iron oxidization?

I intend to run a resin cleaning 2-3 times a year.

Thanks
  10. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

If you set the day override for 8 or 9 days, and still have the meter counting to take over if you have a larger number of people in the house, that should work.
    What is the water temp coming out of the well and into the house?