Master Bath supply line size

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr.JOAT

Reaction score
I’d like some guidance on supply line sizes and hot water heater size capacity

Shower: 4 or 6 body sprays, rain head, handshower, shower head. Would like to have appropriate supply to run two or three functions at the same time (could be up to 16 GPM for 5 or so minutes?) I have not selected any valves or sprays yet.

Whirlpool tub: 70 gallon

Moving laundry to master closet too.

It’s possible we’ll have the laundry going at the same time as the shower or bath. It’s unlikely/unrealistic that we’ll have one person in the shower and one in the bath so not a planning factor. If it was the case, the shower use would only be the shower head.

Current supply: ¾ pex hot and ¾ pex cold and a recirc line is right up to the bath/ shower wet wall.

Hot water heater(s): 55 gallon AO Smith electric and a 40 gallon electric piped in before the 55. The 40 gallon receives preheated water off the Geo system via a de-superheater. The 40 gallon is not currently wired in to the panel. The 55 gallon HWH has a ¾ pipe out to a 1” copper manifold. The ¾ pex is a home run to the shower/bath area. The same for the cold. Both lines are close to 40’ runs each.

Rural water: 1 ½” line from meter to house. Maybe 130’, maybe 60 PSI? I think I can adjust it.

The de-superheater really does a great job. I feel that the 40 gallon tank it feeds to is too small thus limiting my lower cost hot water. Swapping this out to a 55 gallon or larger may be necessary for a 15 minute shower (rare occasion)

Questions:

Should I upsize the lines to 1” and branch off to shower, tub, and laundry?

Can I add additional ¾’ hot and cold lines and tie them into a shared manifold by the shower and tub?

Maybe just add flow activated boost pump?

Will the AO smith HWH with only a ¾ pipe out to the 1” manifold even support upsizing my hot water line/adding an additional ¾ line?

Bottom line: I’d rather be on the high side of available flow and hot water capacity.

Thoughts?