Master Bath Supply Line Runs

Users who are viewing this thread

MTy

Reaction score
I'm nearly finished with my DWV and will be starting on the supplies this weekend. I'll be using Uponor PEX A. A couple of prelim questions.

1. The two supplies for the single vanity run under the floor and then a short distance up the wall. I was going to cut the copper under the floor as close to the wall as possible and still run the double vanity lines. However, I noticed that in one spot the copper has oxidized a good bit. Is this an issue? I start my PEX runs before those spots.

50899572308_0238f5384f_z.jpg

2. It looks like there was a leak in the 3/4 cold water line at some point and a repair was made from the back vanity using a shark bit. I suspect the tight quarters was the reason. Is this something I should repair with a sweat joint? I've not sweated copper before (will be learning and practicing) so trying to do as little as I have too. Plus this seems pretty close to the wood as well for sweating. Can it be left as is?

50899572038_aa50a3bd29_z.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks like there was a leak in the 3/4 cold water line at some point and a repair was made from the back vanity using a shark bit. I suspect the tight quarters was the reason. Is this something I should repair with a sweat joint? I've not sweated copper before (will be learning and practicing) so trying to do as little as I have too. Plus this seems pretty close to the wood as well for sweating. Can it be left as is?
I think you are saying there is no leak. You can leave the SharkBite in place.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
some work was done on the 3/4 you can tell the copper on bottom looks clean (newer) . shark bites fairly reliable I'm not crazy about them but then again solder joints can fail too so it looks solid. if the tarnished 1/2 inch is questionable and especially type m (got the red markings on it ) then cut it off and run your PEX a little further

MTy

Reaction score
I've done some practice soldering in perpetration for today. I've tested the joints under pressure by soldering on a hose fitting, no leaks. Further, the solder has even coverage when I pull the fittings apart. So I think I am good to go. The only issue I have is I can't seem to keep the copper from discoloring a bit, which I understand means I am getting it a bit too hot.

Is this a big issue? FWIW the second the solder starts flowing I am removing the flame. I am using mapp gas, lead free solder, and Nokorode Aquaflux, if that make any difference.

Second Q- Once I solder on the pex a adapters my plan was to cut small pieces of pex and put caps on them an then put them on my adapters so I can test my copper joints before running all of my pex. Would the be any issues removing the pex a "stubs" from the adapters after testing so I can do my runs? I figure I can just cut the pex off fairly easily.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would the be any issues removing the pex a "stubs" from the adapters after testing so I can do my runs? I figure I can just cut the pex off fairly easily.
It's not that easy IMO. When I did it, I clamped single edge razor blades into a locking pliers to provide a cutting depth stop. For testing with easier removal, you could forgo the normal ring, and clamp the pipe around the fitting with a worm gear clamp.

What is the purpose of your proposed test -- checking to see if your solder joint is waterproof? I really can't see you having a leak on your soldering that could leak water. If this is a self-mandated test, I think you are being overly cautious.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only failed solder joints I’ve seen in almost 40 years of being a repair service plumber are a result of poor quality workmanship.

A properly made solder joint is stronger than the pipe wall itself.

Agree horribly soldered joints suck are worse than a well installed shark bite . but I don't recommend either. well installed PEX , CPVC , or galvie aren't my preferred methods either. but I have and will continue to work with all of them when appropriate.
Unless its real easy to get to and where damage will not likely occur , covered up piping I expect 30 years life left to safely recommend covering shark bites don't really fit that to me. but If a guy cant solder and willing to take some risk so be it. but of course I don't recommend leaving 50 year old questionable copper piping either. So hell yea repipe in type l copper with a top notch plumber would be good if pockets are deep and your a quality oriented person. but not a single answer for all cases and homeowner is the boss.

MTy

Reaction score
It may have been a self imposed thing but I am glad I did it. One of my joints leaked. Got that fixed though. Cut out the entire section and redid it. No leaks! I have one of the razor blade cutters. Takes some time but not too hard to get the pex stubs off.

On another note. I have the Delta R22000-WS shower valve. I am supposed to cap one of the valves because I am using the 3 function diverter. It comes with a little brass cap that slides in but no threads. I take it this is supposed to be soldered in? Or do I buy a cap to thread over it?

Last edited:

MTy

Reaction score
So when I demoed the bathroom the compression fitting started leaking. When I pulled it off I noted the pipe was in really bad shape so I cut it back just a bit and installed a new compression fitting.

At the time I thought I was moving the toilet so the new fitting was supposed to be temporary. However, I am not moving the toilet now and the stub is not long enough the the fitting and drywall. Not a big deal to sweat and new stub since the copper T is right there.

But do I need to be concerned about weakening the other joints in the T when I go to pull out and resolder a new piece of copper in? Should I cut further back from the T and replace the whole section including T? Its 40 year old type M copper and I'll be suing type L, if that makes a difference.

MTy

Reaction score
Bump on this. Probably going to replace the entire T but its a tight space with other old joints nearby. Do I need to worry about weakening old joints when soldering a single new piece in?

Reach4

Reaction score
Bump on this. Probably going to replace the entire T but its a tight space with other old joints nearby. Do I need to worry about weakening old joints when soldering a single new piece in?
Even if you told me how far away the old joints are from the new soldering, I would not be able to answer that. But somebody else might be able to do that. I know keeping the old joint damp can keep that joint cooler.