Main Stack Offset

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Kerwin, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Kerwin

Kerwin New Member

I am installing a new main stack to a second story bathroom. The point where it comes out of the basement floor is offset about 12 inches from where it needs to enter the flooring of the first floor above. From there it continues vertical to the second story. I have provided for the offset with a couple of 45's and a very short length of pipe between them. Without the 45's the pipe will not be vertical and it just looks bad. I have read that no offset is allowed in the main stack. (Of course I have also read that the main stack should be vertical) Is this such a big deal? What problem could come from this small "jog" in the pipe. Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

stack

You need better books, or to read them better. There is nothing wrong with an offset and it is required in certain high rise buildings.
  3. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

An offset in a vertical stack is OK...
    We do it all the time...