main stack jog?

Users who are viewing this thread

pipewoe

Reaction score
I'm doing a bath remodel and want to move the main stack about 6-10". It can stay in the same wall, but I am cutting into that wall to put in an alcove (annexing a closet) and need more width where the stack sits to put in a W/D. The pipe is 50+yrs cast iron. Is it possible to essentially move (well, cut out and use ABS) just the piece of the pipe that is in the room (just below floor line to just above ceiling) and use 2 45 degree angles to tie back into where it is now in my crawlspace and attic? I'm trying not to have to move the whole thing esp in the crawl space where it ties into the sewer line (do I have that right?) and would rather not have to cut a new vent hole in my roof. I know zip about plumbing (could you tell??) and will hire it done, but just want to know if it's possible/recommended?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, this can be done. The pipe is VERY heavy, and the pipe needs to be well supported before and after it is cut, otherwise, it will very likely injure either you or the structure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks