Main Line Root Intrusion - Pipe Bursting vs Lining?

Users who are viewing this thread

Roback

Reaction score
Mainline Stoppage Problem

Wanted to get some guidance. I have a house that was built in about 1960. It’s at hillside property with a ~ 100 ft main line that runs along the side of my house with a few 45° turns and ends up in my carport before connecting into the city main the street. I have gotten bids for lining that have run from $10,000-$15,000 and a couple of bids for pipe bursting that have run from $10,000-$19,000. There are some potential issues with pipe bursting including going through a wall and potential footing that may require additional excavation. Even without that, there will be several areas that apparently will need to be saw cut along my walkway and driveway to be able to accomplish that job. On the other hand, lining the pipe doesn’t seem to be as robust a repair? I’m only going to probably live in this house for about another 5 to 10 years. But having plumbers come up and snake out the line 2 to 3 times a year and living with the fear that it can back up into my house at any time is just becoming nerve-racking. The other option would be to dig up the areas with route intrusion and repair them, but not sure if that is the best way to go? The last piece of the puzzle is that where the pipe connects to the section going into the street is beginning to separate so hydrojetting is not advised. Any thoughts or advice or resources to learn about these types of situations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
If there are no bellies (low spots) viewed with inspection camera, my vote is trenchless/bursting. It is bomb proof and so strong and smooth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks