main level bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

jasaxon1900

Reaction score
Hello - first time poster here!

The main floor bathroom in my home is being remodelled. It is smallish (8x8) and will include a tub, toilet and a vanity sink. The toilet and vanity sink will be along one wall with the tub on the opposite wall. The room is being completely gutted. The existing plumbing is being removed and replaced. There is no 'vent' in the old system, but the second floor addition (done 8 years ago) included a new bathrrom with a 3" vent through the roof and at that time I had the plumber include a 2" vent tie-in to that stack in the attic and run the pipe down the access hole to the main floor. The basement below is open (unfinished).

Here is the drawing that I have done showing what the plumber is saying he is going to install. The main stack is 3" and the vent from the toilet and across the top is 2". All other vents a 1 1/2" as are the drains (except the tiolet being 3").

I have had the plumber remove the 90 degree bends that he had originally proposed and replace them with double 45s. The pipes in grey are existing and MAY be left as is (unless they are found to be full of crud - the black lines will be all new. The angled bends with out the connectors are just straight runs of pipe (no bends) but I didn't know how to draw them in a 2D way without the drawing getting too wide and complex.

All drains slope 1/4"+/foot. Does the horizontal vent need to slope too? The vent for the tub actually runs vertically up the tub wall and then takes a 90 turn horizotally to connect to the 2" vent from the toilet/sink beofre connecting to the vertical vent. The blue line is the floor level - everything below will be accessible from the basement after the reno is complete (mostly in the joist space).

Does anything look off or are there improvements that could be made before we start (should we include more cleanouts, etc)?

Thanks. bathroom DWV.jpg

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I didn't read the words because you didn't use paragraphs.

The toilet tying into the stack with a wye doesn't allow it to be vented properly.

jasaxon1900

Reaction score
I didn't read the words because you didn't use paragraphs.

The toilet tying into the stack with a wye doesn't allow it to be vented properly.

What type of connection should be used to tie the toilet into the stack? The only options are a Sanitary T or a 45 Wye, correct? And everything I have read states that a wye is preferable to a tee. This can certainly be changed to a saniT without issue if that is what it needs to be.
Please let me know if that is what should be done.
Is the wye not good because the air to vent needs to go 'down' too far before it can gain access to the horizontal drain?
Does everything else look okay?

toilet DWV.JPG

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
the broad general rule....connections into a vertical stack are made with a sanitary tee, and connections on the horizontal plane are done with a wye, or a wye and 45.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To be completely correct, you should NOT "wet vent" the toilet by using a drain from an upper floor. Its vent should connect to the rest of the bathroom's vents, or into the Y for the toilet, and the upstairs tie directly into the sanitary system. If you, not being a plumber, have to advise YOUR plumber as to how to install a system, then I wonder if he is really a plumber. If I were doing it, l would just install it without giving you a drawing or asking you how to do it.

Last edited:

jasaxon1900

Reaction score
To be completely correct, you should NOT "wet vent" the toilet by using a drain from an upper floor. Its vent should connect to the rest of the bathroom's vents, or into the Y for the toilet, and the upstairs tie directly into the sanitary system. If you, not being a plumber, have to advise YOUR plumber as to how to install a system, then I wonder if he is really a plumber. If I were doing it, l would just install it without giving you a drawing or asking you how to do it.

OK - you lost me. The vent for the toilet (and the etire main floor system) ties into the vent stack going through the roof in the attic space above all the drains in the upper floor. How does that make it a 'wet vent'?
The drawing was not provided by the plumber to me - I did the drawing myself based off his explaination of what he was proposing to do.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The room upstairs should probably go directly to the stack, not going by the toilet on its way there.

jasaxon1900

Reaction score
The room upstairs should probably go directly to the stack, not going by the toilet on its way there.

I will have to look tonight to see if there is room in the stack to do that (because of the angles that things come in at, I don't think a single T (3" x 3" x 3" x 1 1/2") to accept the 3" toilet and the 1 1/2" upstairs drain will work without a few horizontal angle connections - OR is that preferable to just running it straight through the toilet?).

That drain (from the upstirs sink) was plumbed into the existing main floor toilet when it was done 8 years ago.

If there is room to put another saniT in the stack (one for the 3" toilet and another for the 1 1/2" upstairs) is there a preferece as to which one should go higher up?

jasaxon1900

Reaction score
Thanks so much - should the cleanout be left on the end of the 'toilet only' run or should I remove it and just have a 45 bend there (more cleanouts are better??). Is the double 45 bend a better performer than a wye with a 45?

Also, does this configuration not mean that I am now 'wet venting' the toilet for about 8" (where the drain from upstairs runs into the main stack above the toilet saniT)?

Should I try to vent off the vertical drain from the toilet wth a saniT and tie into the main vent with a saniT (can that vent run horizontal for the 18" to the main vent line)?

Attachments

• toilet option.JPG
    toilet option.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,651
Last edited:

jasaxon1900

Reaction score
final.JPG

OK - here is what we have come up with (plumber) based upon recommendations from here.
The toilet it now the lowest drain on the stack via a saniT (3") and has been separated from the upstairs drain.
The clean-out was left on the end of the toliet run.
The upstairs drain (from the sink) now enters the stack above the toilet (after a reduction from 3" to 2" pipe) in a saniT (2x2x1.5) - this results in a 'wet-vent of the toilet for about 5". This actually removed a couple of 45" bends in that drain.
The 2" vent continues to the attic where it joins the 3" main vent through the roof.

Is everything now all good?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're going to leave the cleanout, I wouldn't reduce it and put the elbow on it. If you need a snake, you want one with a head the same diameter as the pipe you want to clean out, and it won't easily (if at all) go through a small pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks