Low Pressure to shower tub only after shutting water off and on

Users who are viewing this thread

Scottzilla

Reaction score
Title pretty much covers it. The main floor shower and tub spout both have low hot pressure, cold pressure is fine. Hot pressure on main floor kitchen sink is fine as well as hot pressure in basement shower and laundry sink.
I'm pretty sure there is loosened sediment clogging it up: I shut the water off and on a couple times and when I turned it back on the water came out rusty to almost black.
Why yes there is galvanized and copper pipe right on top of each other!
Is there anyway to fix this without tearing my walls up?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could take the tub/shower valve apart and try to flush out the line. You may need to use something like aluminum foil around the valve to prevent water from getting into the wall when you flush out the valve. There might be screens in the valve just depends on what type of valve you have. It should be an easy fix.

Reach4

Reaction score
Why yes there is galvanized and copper pipe right on top of each other!
Is there anyway to fix this without tearing my walls up?

If the galvanized is big, that would be the drain line. If the galvanized is 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipe, the copper probably replaces a galvanized pipe that clogged before.

Is there a closet on the other side of the tub spout wall? If so, there may already be an access panel there, or you could put one in.

Cephus

Reaction score
I get the same problem, for some reason, there is a ton of grit in my hot water supply, but not my cold water supply. Once a month or so, I have to take off the hoses to the washing machine and clean out the hot side. The cold side is always fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks