Low flush toilet question

Users who are viewing this thread

theboneman21

Reaction score
I will try to be as non gross as possible.

We have a low flush toilet.

It has the big drain on the bottom of the bowl but then a smaller hole on the front bottom where water rushes in to replace the empty bowl.

Now, here's where it gets kind of delicate. If someone has a prolific enough session that is soft in nature, it's as though the product gets wedged into that little flush in hole so for the better part of a day, "debris" makes its way into the bowl. It stays that way until enough flushes have occurred to empty that front part out. Aside from getting a new toilet is there any other possible solution ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The purpose of that smaller hole is as a siphon jet - it isn't primarily for refill, it is to start the water going out the drain - the jet action gets it done quickly. The old, high volume toilets just used the large volume of water that filled the bowl to generate enough pressure to start the siphon which caused the flush.

Now, most new toilets use this siphon jet technique. The shape and placement of that jet may make a difference in whether it ends up trapping anything. I've not noticed it on my toilets, but then I don't frequently have soft ones to test it with! Hard to tell if this would be an issue with a different toilet or brand.

Timothy LaDuca

Reaction score
You might want to ask the "offending person" to hold the handle down longer. I have a Kohler Cimmaron which also uses a jet. On my toilet, simply pressing and releasing the handle does not completely empty the tank, so my theory is, if your toilet is similar to mine, if the handle is held longer the tank will completely drain and maybe completely clear the jet of debris. Just a thought. (By the way, just between you and me, I have these kind of bowel movements from time to time and never have this sort of problem, which leads me to beleive maybe it's a bad toilet design, or it is defect.)

Last edited:

theboneman21

Reaction score
You might want to ask the "offending person" to hold the handle down longer. I have a Kohler Cimmaron which also uses a jet. On my toilet, simply pressing and releasing the handle does not completely empty the tank, so my theory is, if your toilet is similar to mine, if the handle is held longer the tank will completely drain and maybe completely clear the jet of debris. Just a thought. (By the way, just between you and me, I have these kind of bowel movements from time to time and never have this sort of problem, which leads me to beleive maybe it's a bad toilet design, or it is defect.)

I am the offender.

LOL

It is a push button toilet not a handle toilet but probably a similar concept to what you mentioned.

Thanks for the tips guys, will give that a shot.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
All low flow toilets are not created equal. Many manufacturers, including some of the famous name brands, tried to use their old designs with less water which didn't work and ended up giving low flow a bad rap. Most folks just don't realize that, while most manufacturers have improved their designs, some brands still have problems. Some of these problems can be blamed on poor quality control, others with poor design. In theory, a low flow toilet uses about 1/2 of the water in the tank per flush. Dual flusher use even less for the liquid only flush. Holding the handle in the flush position for a longer period of time hold the flapper open and drains the entire tank. This process obviously defeats the purpose of low flow. This feature should rarely, if ever, be necessary. Many of us on this forum prefer the Toto brand toilets because of their superior design, high qualify control, and availability of inexpensive repair parts. Agreed that there is a small percentage of people with bowel conditions that can be a problem and that may well apply here. If you are the only one that has this problem, then using the full tank of water may be more sensible than buying a new toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks