Low Flow in New Apartments

Users who are viewing this thread

JeremiahD

Reaction score
I recently moved to an apartment complex that was built about three years ago. Compared to my old apartment, the water flow is quite disappointing. We have a garden tub, and it takes about 45 minutes to fill. I did a bucket test (using the tub filler, not the shower head), and came up with a flow rate of about 2 gallons per minute. The maintenance folks seem to think that this is normal. Could those in the know give me an idea of what would be considered a "normal" flow rate for a tub filler in a newly constructed apartment? If it makes a difference, it is a mixet pressure balance valve...

Thanks!

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Shower/baths are rated at 2.5 GPM...which doesn't seem that far off.
You might want to check the actual pressure...on a large tub like that you really should have a higher volume roman spout...maybe a Grohe or Kohler.
But either would be irrelevant if you only have 20 psi...
What type valve is on there now?

JeremiahD

Reaction score
Apt. Maintenance says they checked the pressure at 80psi coming into the building. They are going to check the pressure in the apartment itself tomorrow.

Valve is a Mixet Pressure Balance. Tub filler spout is mixet as well. Apt. Maintenance says its 1/2" pipe to the faucet. Showerhead is a 2.5gpm peerless (dual-head; can use one, the other, or both simultaneously). If there are other details needed, let me know and I'll try to find out.

I was under the impression (but please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a plumber) that typical flow for the tub filler would be 6-10gpm?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If it was built 3 years ago, using Mixet, someone was working on the cheap, because Mixet is out of business longer than that. Alsons (brasscraft) owns the name and makes OEM parts and trim. I am not aware that they have made any complete sets in several years. I could be wrong.....wouldn't be the first time!

Tub filler should not be restricted to the 2 GPM neighborhood. Only thing which comes to mind right away is if they installed the valve upside down, or if it has integral stops which are not all the way open, or have become clogged.

JeremiahD

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help...
They were in the unit earlier checking all the valves... They must have found something, because the tub filled in about 15 minutes this evening. Its weird, because it doesn't seem like it is flowing much more than before, but it is taking much less time to fill. The 45 minutes to fill was before I did the bucket test, so it may have been even lower than that before. I'd still like to see better than 2gpm coming out of the faucet, but at least its usable now.

As to the Mixet parts, it is a huge complex, so perhaps someone had a stockpile to use up? Surprises me that they would cut corners with the plumbing, as these are "luxury" units that have nice appliances, crown molding, vaulted ceilings, etc.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You're right, the tub filler should be more than the 2gpm, depending on the pressure and the valve, it could likely be in the order of volume you indicated. Something was wrong.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
JeremiahD said:
Thanks for all the help...
They were in the unit earlier checking all the valves... They must have found something, because the tub filled in about 15 minutes this evening. Its weird, because it doesn't seem like it is flowing much more than before, but it is taking much less time to fill. The 45 minutes to fill was before I did the bucket test, so it may have been even lower than that before. I'd still like to see better than 2gpm coming out of the faucet, but at least its usable now.

As to the Mixet parts, it is a huge complex, so perhaps someone had a stockpile to use up? Surprises me that they would cut corners with the plumbing, as these are "luxury" units that have nice appliances, crown molding, vaulted ceilings, etc.

You'd be very surprized at what developers do behind the walls on "luxury" developments.
I've worked my share of new construction for large developement / real estate companies, very few pay for anything they think a potential buyer or renter won't notice.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There was never a time when the words "Mixet" and "luxury" were used in the same sentence!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flow

Pressure balanced valves are a special kind of animal. You could have immense capacity on one side, but if the other is deficient, it will reduce both of them to the lower level. In addition, the valve body could be where the flow limitation takes place rather than in the shower head, and that would also cause your problem. Finally, a Mixet valve would not be my choice for ANY application, even if it were just a single shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks