Low ceiling, p-trap and drain run adjustments feasible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fetterfly

Reaction score
Hi Guys, my first time posting. I am a complete plumbing newb but I want to do some adjustments to my downstairs plumbing situation. I've done drywall, electrical and am no stranger to DIY work but up till now I haven't touched plumbing.

I would like to know if what I want to do is even feasible. I have a downstairs bathroom reno with a very low ceiling. I have an existing run from my upstairs shower and sink, which then connects to my awkwardly located stack. It currently exists outside of the wall and below the ceiling. I'd like to move the pipe runs to above the wall, and embedded in the ceiling.

My main concern is the P-trap, and probably avoiding siphon from the sink. I'm wondering if I can rotate the existing P-trap, elevate the shower drain run to above the wall and in the ceiling so I can avoid an annoying space consuming bulkhead? I do not intend to raise the p-trap itself, just the exit piping so I'm assuming the water seal would remain. I've tried to mark up the attached photos to indicate what I'm trying to do.

Thanks so much for any of your time to read and think about my post. I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Current Situation:
uc

Desired Piping re-arrangements
uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's hard for me to tell for sure, but it does not appear that most of what is there currently has proper vent lines. It also looks like the waste is required to try to go uphill where that non-code compliant flexible coupling is used (that can ONLY be used underground where both ends can properly be supported by the fill - not in open space like that). You can turn the p-trap any way you want, if that helps you reorient the pipes, but you need to also address venting and then, to ensure there is a constant grade so that things drain properly. There can be no flat parts, or uphill runs...it must all slope down.

Fetterfly

Reaction score
Hi Jadnashua, thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, it all slopes down properly, 1/4" per foot. There are no uphills for the drainage. My apologies but those photo angles were the only way to get the runs in the photograph, it's a small bathroom. The stack continues upwards and vents out the roof I believe.

So as long as I maintain the level of the water-seal of the p-trap above the joint that enters the main stack, I'm fine for pipe re-orienting?

Reach4

Reaction score
The "also dislike" elbow should be a long sweep. A long sweep is called for when you transition from vertical to horizontal. This does not imply that I checked the rest of the pictures.

Fetterfly

Reaction score
The "also dislike" elbow should be a long sweep. A long sweep is called for when you transition from vertical to horizontal. This does not imply that I checked the rest of the pictures.
Thanks Reach4!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are also using the wrong Fernco connectors. What you are using are only approved for underground connections. If you must use a clamp style connector, it must be a full banded one. (Fernco is a brand name and they make a variety of connectors)

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are also using the wrong Fernco connectors. What you are using are only approved for underground connections. If you must use a clamp style connector, it must be a full banded one. (Fernco is a brand name and they make a variety of connectors)

Right on, ABS to ABS use ABS glue and if you can't, use the correct no-hub connector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks